Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT keeps creating a folder

ACT keeps creating a folder

For some reason when certain people on our network start up ACT a folder is being created in their documents and settings folder. It is an additional folder called Jessica, not theirs. If you delete the folder it just returns again when you start up ACT! Anyone have any assistance? we are running ACT! 2008 10.0

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT keeps creating a folder

Hello gr4v3r,

Welcome to the ACT! Online Community. In regards to your issue, I have some questions:

Is there anything inside of this "Jessica" folder, or is it empty?

What is the full filepath to this folder?

Is "Jessica" the Windows login name for one of your users or co-workers?

Are your users accessing ACT! via terminal services or do they have ACT! installed on their machines?

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Jessica was an old employee of ours who is no longer around. when you open ACT it creats a folder called Jessica.ACS which is located here > C:\Documents and Settings\Jessica.ACS and contains 2 folders, application data and my documents. Inside applications data is ACT>ACT for Windows 10> NetLinks and Spell. Inside Netlinks is a file called "InternetLinks.xml". Inside Spell is a blank txt document called custom1.DIC. If you go into My documents there is also ACT>ACT for windows 10>Documents which is empty. I hope all this info isn't too confusing. The users all have ACT installed on their machines.

[ Edited ]

These sound like Preferences files for ACT! that are related to this old user. By chance are any of your users logging into their machines under Jessica's Windows account? It sounds like her profile is still floating around your network.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

nobody here is logging onto Jessicas account. As a test I deleted the folder and it didnt come back until i launched ACT! 2008 v10.0 making me believe that is what is causing it. There is no other version of ACT! on the computer and I checked the prefences of the contaminated PC versus another that wasn't having this issue and they are identical. I hope you can help because I'm clueless right now.

any help?

Still can't seem to solve this issue. Is there any insight?

Ok, try this:

- On one of the machines having this issue. open ACT! and go to Tools > Preferences

- Under the General tab, look at the section for Personal Files Locations

- In the File Type dropdown, you should see options for Documents, Internet Links, and Dictionaries, and Backups

- See if the filepath (below the dropdown) includes "Jessica". If so, then change it to the correct filepath for that machines user:

Documents: My Documents \ ACT \ Act for Windows 10 \ Documents

Internet Links: C:\Documents & Settings \ [username] \ Application Data \ ACT \ Act for Windows 10 \ NetLinks

Dictionaries: C:\Documents & Settings \ [username] \ Application Data \ ACT \ Act for Windows 10 \ Spell

Backups: My Documents \ ACT \ Act for Windows 10 \ Backups

- Close ACT!, delete the "Jessica.ACS" file, then reopen ACT! and see if the file is recreated

Greig Hollister

almost fixed it. She was there but even after i fixed all the paths the NetLinks folder still came back, but only that one. Could it be linked somewhere else also?

Is there also a NetLinks folder in the users Application Data location? It should contain a file called InternetLinks.xml

Greig Hollister