05-16-2015 12:09 PM
Ever since I upgraded to MS-Office 2013 last fall, my ACT email integration with Outlook has not consistently been working. I have ACT Pro 16
I have been tolerating and working around these problems for 6 months and am tired of it. Does anyone know how to fix them?
I have already tried completely uninstalling both MS-Office and ACT, at the same time, rebooting, and then reinstalling MS-Office and Act Pro in that order. There was no change in any of these problems.
Thanks for any help.
05-18-2015 05:15 PM
I have being using ACT! in last 15 years at least and I gave it up.
Sometimes it works..., sometimes it doesn´t work and this is very frustrating.
Solution I found (and since than I did not have problems anymore) was to buy an add-on.
I have being using "Outlook IntegrateR1" ("http://www.designr1.com/index.html") and my problem with this matter were gone!
05-19-2015 03:34 PM
Sorry about that.
Try this: http://www.designr1.com
I tried and worked.
05-26-2015 12:38 PM
In case others have this same problem, mine is now resolved.
I contracted for a month's paid support with Swiftpage. The technician was competent and obviously had record of this problem and a protocol for resolving it. She led me through several rather obscure registry changes and it solved it.