Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT! freshly installed - crashes after 20 minutes on open

ACT! freshly installed - crashes after 20 minutes on open

Hi All,

We have installed ACT on a server to host a database and the moment we open it up it freezes for 20 seconds before throwing an error message.

[Act! has detected that Protexis licensing service may not be started or installed properly...]

So we also check the logviewer and see the following error:

[Error Exception: Exception of type 'System.OutOfMemoryException' was thrown...]

We then bought some RAM and upgraded it so that it's nowhere near full use. Unfortunately, this error is still happening. Looking around the internet there's a few things we can do with actdiag, however when we open up actdiag it throws up an error straight away as well!

Any help is appreciated.

-------------------------------

ACTDiag output

at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds..ctor(DbConnectionPoolIdentity identity, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, SqlCredential credential, Object providerInfo, String newPassword, SecureString newSecurePassword, Boolean redirectedUserInstance, SqlConnectionString userConnectionOptions, SessionData reconnectSessionData, DbConnectionPool pool, String accessToken, Boolean applyTransientFaultHandling)
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnectionFactory.CreateConnection(DbConnectionOptions options, DbConnectionPoolKey poolKey, Object poolGroupProviderInfo, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnection owningConnection, DbConnectionOptions userOptions)
at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.CreateNonPooledConnection(DbConnection owningConnection, DbConnectionPoolGroup poolGroup, DbConnectionOptions userOptions)
at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.TryGetConnection(DbConnection owningConnection, TaskCompletionSource`1 retry, DbConnectionOptions userOptions, DbConnectionInternal oldConnection, DbConnectionInternal& connection)
at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionInternal.TryOpenConnectionInternal(DbConnection outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory, TaskCompletionSource`1 retry, DbConnectionOptions userOptions)
at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionClosed.TryOpenConnection(DbConnection outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory, TaskCompletionSource`1 retry, DbConnectionOptions userOptions)
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.TryOpenInner(TaskCompletionSource`1 retry)
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.TryOpen(TaskCompletionSource`1 retry)
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.Open()
at ActDiag.Common.GetSAPassword()
at ActDiag.ServerInfo..ctor()
at ActDiag.FormACTDiag.?()
at ActDiag.FormACTDiag..ctor()
at ActDiag.FormACTDiag.?(String[] ?)

Administrator

Re: ACT! freshly installed - crashes after 20 minutes on open

Hi jrob90,

I'm not sure if these issues are connected in any way, so let's tackle them one at a time.

For the Protexis error, this could be resolved by completing a manual reinstall of the Protexis Licensing Service. To do this, please follow the steps in the following Knowledgebase article: http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/23027

Let us know how you get on.

Copper Contributor

Copper Contributor

Bizarrely I also remember an issue of this type related to the Verdana font not being installed

Glenn Lye
glye@crmdata.co.uk
07827 643672

Thanks Gary,

I should update this thread with what I have done. I have, as you mentioned reinstalled that service and it got further.

I can now enter ACT! and get an option to create a database, unfortunately, new error here!

Checking log viewer, it complained that ACTACCESS didn't have access to the SQL server. I have followed some other thread that said to manually create the accounts which I did, and then run the SQL RESET script. This has now got us past the access issue, but onto a new issue.

'Could not find stored procedure 'master.dbo.sp_get_ptaai' which is related to SQL. It sounds like something went wrong with the SQL install part of ACT, even though it had created it.

Any advise with this one? Thanks.

Administrator

Hi jrob90,

Try the following steps:

1. Close Act!
  2. Download and save the ResetSQL.bat and SQLUSERS.bat files attached below
  3. Right click on the downloaded SQLUSERS.bat file and click run as administrator
  4. Follow the prompts on the screen
  5. When complete, close the command prompt window and attempt to run the ResetSQL.bat file
  6. Answer Yes to the question "Do you want to turn off Password Policy?" and Yes to the question "Do you want to Reset SQL?"
  7. Browse to installation folder
    Default location:
    • C:\Program Files\ACT\Act for Windows
    • C:\Program Files (x86)\ACT\Act for Windows
  8. Locate and double-click file: SecurityCmdLnApp.exe
  9. Try opening or creating a database in Act!

This is looking much better - I think there's an issue with the SQL User script. It doesn't check if they exist already. So it tries to create them but because I had manually created them it just errors.

ACT! got way further than before but couldn't create the database because of a SQL user error. I will try and manually delete the user's and rerun the two scripts and update you.

[ Edited ]

Ok,

Unfortunately even after dropping the logins then following your procedure, I still have an issue.

'Cannot open database "New Database" requested by the login. The login failed. Login failed for user 'ACTADMIN'."

Any advise for this?

EDIT: I should add that the Database is getting created in the location I specify now - just cannot open it.

Bronze Elite Contributor

Are you able to open the demo database that ACT installs as part of the installation?

Unfortunately not. It says that it doesn't exist.