Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT! for Mac Computers

ACT! for Mac Computers

I am currently using Parallels to run Act! on my Macbook Pro and it's awful. When will we see an Act application for Mac Computers??  

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT! for Mac Computers

When you say it's awful, can you be more specific. I've used ACT! in a VMware virtual machine on a PC and had no problems. I know that MAC allocates memory different than the PC and that could be a source of problems

As to a native MAC version of the ACT! program, nothing in the foreseeable future. Such a version would require a complete rewrite of the ACT! program due to the use of the MSSQL database server and the Microsoft .NET Framework for the program itself.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Thanks for the quick response Roy!

Having to boot up the virtual machine for one application that isn't used every day is time intensive, and the virtual machine takes away resources that would otherwise be allocated to other applications Photoshop, excel, safari, etc. Not only that, the VM and act software just move slower in general. Minimizing/maximizing windows, saving, opening closing software, etc. 

It sounds like Act! won't be on mac anytime soon, so I just need to get it dialed in I guess. How did you configure your memory allocation on your machine when it was working well?

Thanks!

Platinum Elite Contributor

I use the virtual machines so that I can run more than one version of the ACT! program on the same computer. Si I'm doing everything on a PC even though I have more than one copy of Windows installed. On the PC I give the virtual machine 2-gig of RAM (the computer has 12-gig RAM installed) and for most of my work that is adequate. Booting the virtual machine won't be instantaneous because the Windows OS must open and configure, the SQL server must load and open your database all before you can launch the ACT! program. One thing to remember, the ACT! program is what is called an I/O bound program as opposed to a compute bound programs like Photoshop and Excel. This mean that ACT! doesn't need a lightning fast processor but it really likes a lot of RAM and a very fast hard drive. Unfortunately most laptops come standard with a 5400 RPM hard drive and you can see a significant ACT! performance between such a laptop and a machine with a 7200 RPM hard drive. While expensive, ACT! performance definitely benefits from a Solid State hard drive. 

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129