Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT for MAC Computers

Re: ACT for MAC Computers

Since there is no Act for Mac and I'm not going to run Parallels is there any way to print out my contacts list?

Adding to my last question - what would be even better is if I could transfer my contacts db to another program so I can at least reference it. I'd hate to lose 10 years of contact information.

Highlighted
Copper Contributor

You can do a File - Export from ACT to a delimited text file and import that file into just about anything.

Rick

Hi, All!

From about 1993 my Mac-based design shop ran ACT! until it no longer supported its Mac users.  We then converted to PowerOn's NOW Up-To-Date and Contact, which we stuck with all of these years as it's gone through several hands, most recently NOW Software.  This last company has given up the ghost and left many of us scratching our heads.  I've started a discussion group on LinkedIn by simply posing the question to Mac users -- "what do you recommend?"  Wow!  Lots of people in the same boat.  Some colleagues have even kept an old system 9 Mac in the studio just to run good-old ACT!

I've sampled and trialed many CRMs and other more simple contact management software products ,and I've still not found something that provides the functionality of ACT! (or NOW).  Simply put, in addition to tracking contacts, emails and phones calls, sharing a calendar and scheduling ToDos, we want to be able to print mailing labels, build and use letter and envelope templates, etc.  Seems straightforward enough.  Seems there's an opportunity here for a new product with a built-in market.

Daylite is offering a little help to former NOW users (who are in large part former ACT! users), they're even offering a 30% discount to convert.  But it's very expensive -- over $3,000/year for even a small shop.  Salesforce works, but it's not compatible with Mac for mail merge functions.  37signals' Highrise doesn't really offer any serious functionality (I use and love their sister cloud-based project management tool -- Basecamp).

I understand that to offer an ACT! product for Mac, it would have to be an entirely different animal.  What do you then recommend to your loyal ACT! fans?  You once helped us with the conversion to NOW.  What do you recommend now that NOW is defunct?

Thanks for your time.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Nickel Contributor

We tested Daylite on our Mac. It's "OK" but it's still not a serious business DB program like ACT. 

ACT 2011 Version 13, Outlook  / Office 2007 and Windows 7 all work well together. As previously remarked, even if Sage decided to release a Mac version of ACT it would be a couple of years in the future.

Thank you, Mike.  You're right, there is a pay as you go and a single-user license.  It has actually been confusing for me to price Daylite for a 5-user shop.  I guess the cost I'm quoting includes their integrated Mail feature and support as well.  Our Mac guru suggested that the program wasn't as "bullet-proof" as ACT! and we should keep sampling other options.  We've also looked at Contactizer Pro and Elements CRM.  I'm still not sure what makes the most sense for us.  Just wishing that there was an ACT! for Mac.  It would make things much easier for me.   :-)

There used to be a Mac version back in 1993 (2.0):
http://blog.glcomputing.com.au/2008/12/history-of-act.html
Symantec dropped it for lack of sales.

While Apple are starting to get more sales, they are still only less than 8% of total and, because their focus is creative and home, it's under 3% of business (sales/marketing) use.

This is why the CRM vendors haven't focused on it and only niche products are there for it. Investing $1 on a Windows version feature generates a much better return than on MacOS

I used Act for a long time from about V2 but not for about 10 years. I am one of the insignificant SMB users who want Act for Mac. I just threw out 4 PC and replaced them with Macs. I would have not only purchased Act for my computers but recommend it to my clients. Maybe you should consider what happened to the Swiss watch makers who failed to act in a timely manner to the new quartz technology. They went from #1 in the world to virtually loosing the lot. Sad when you consider that it was the Swiss who invented the quartz movement. If you wait until the market is large enough I will almost guarantee it will be too late to start development on a Mac specific. Macs are growing in numbers and many small businesses are taking it up.

Wake up before it is too late.