Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT for MAC Computers

Re: ACT for MAC Computers

It is really sad I have been a loyal Act customer for over 10 years. I switch over to Mac and will never go back to PC again. I run VM ware and run Act from window environment. Its kind of a pain but I still love the program still the best one out there. I recently discovered program called "Contactizer" by Objective-decision about 129.00 it is a little buggy but it is the best thing out there for Mac.

http://www.objective-decision.com/en/products/contactizerpro/ for Mac.

This is great solution and has some pretty cool features and works beautifully. The only flaw: once you upgrade mobile me calendar you cannot sync with sync services anymore. It is a very nice program but crappy customer support. If they get it together it will rock even better than my trusted Act. 

The program is not intuitive so there is a learning curve. With everyone complaining about Sage, I would think by now they would have listened....its too bad they are not. I just hope that Sage will see the benefit of how many people are making the switch to Apple like myself. Microsoft did it with Office 2011 for Mac even though it is just okay, but nevertheless they did. 

Please Sage start listening to your loyal customers, you have the best product on the market help us former PC users. 

Im am thinking of buying a mac for work. I need windows to run ACT!. Can someone please let me know if I can still attach word files and emails from my mac office software if I run ACT! in windows with the parallels/fusion program?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Hello work,
Welcome to the Sage ACT! Community. In regards to your question, ACT! will only be able to work with files and apps within the Windows environment.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Nickel Contributor

I kicked around the idea of switching to Mac for quite some time. (I used one in the past and it's still the best OS out there.) But ACT is the best contact manager out there. The 4 or 5 CM's for Mac don't even come close. One "switch" I made (the Mac world calls PC converts "switchers") was buying a new PC with Windows 7. Overall it's somewhat better than XP, and, in my humble opinion, every Windows upgrade borrows a few more features from Mac and moves ever closer to the Mac OS.

Hello everyone, 

I can as many others in the community not understand that Sage does not develop ACT for Mac.  

I have used Act since version 6.0 or maybe even earlier versions. I started before Sage got involved and I think the customer service was better then. I still prefer the ACT 6 compared to 2008 version 10 that is the version I currently use. The older version was a lot quicker and a lot of the features added since are only for show. Granted it looks better and have a lot of extras that I do not use. 

I think that I am typical user that uses it as contact manager and the interface between phone, E-mail, prospects and storage of documents / communications on the customer. I have used it with Outlook, Notes, G-mail and it is has always worked. It was a lot of work with Notes though. We changed from Outlook to Notes and the set up was tricky and really did not work as good as Outlook. All this was on a PC.

Last year I changed and now run through Parallels on my Mac.  I fully agree with many on this site that once you change to Mac you will not go back.  The set I now have is not as good as running it "direct on”  a PC. It works but it is not as easy as everything else on the Mac and it is slow. It is I guess partly due to Parallels that seems to be doing upgrades twice a month. They should get there act together, bad joke, and do a good version directly instead of all these upgrades.

I have looked at other programs that have been suggested on this site. Contacterizer looked promising but since I could not transfer my Act files easily so I stopped looking at this one. If I would start from scratch it would probably work. I agree with you all that Act is probably the best one today. 

I live in Pittsburgh close to a couple of universities and a lot of coffee shops. I always count the split between PC and Mac as I wait for my coffee. The split is today 60 % in favor of Mac and these kids will probably not change to PC once they start working . So if Sage or any other program developer wants to still be the number one  in CRM they must get a Mac version going. Just start with version 6 for Mac and I would be happy. 

Finally some comments about the Apple store support mentioned above. I think that the Apple store is the best thing that has happened to the computer business. The service is great and everyone is helpful. Granted they do not know everything about everything they sell but with the enthusiasm that everyone shows I give it 5 stars. The phone support is also in US with people that speak English not like someone else that is named on this page. 

So my suggestion to Sage is to get going with a Mac version ASAP if you want to still be number one. Because the day when Apple starts to move towards business / cooperate world the PC will surely die. Just think if an application like Garageband can be developed  just think what they could develop for contact management and other business applications. 

There are a couple of main reasons why there isn't a version of the ACT! program for the MAC. The ACT! program is based on MSSQL and Microsoft's .NET Framewok both of which aren't available native on the MAC so a MAC version of the ACT! program would require a complete rewrite and basing it on a different database platform. If it were done there would be issue of database protability between the MAC and PC versions. This brings up the second main reason, the MAC market share to date doesn't justify that amount of development, especially when there is a viable workaround using a virtual PC on the MAC.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

I think we all know what you are saying and it has been repeated for some time. There is however a great opportunity for someone with a bit foresight to take the Mac market. I now that I am not alone. And there was a version back in 97 that did work on Mac. But that was of curse under Symantec times.

The last MAC specific version of the ACT! program was based on ACTWIN2. With ACT! 3 the MAC version was dropped thought the version based on ACTWIN2 did live on for several years. For what it's worth I was the last tech support person supporting the MAC version when support was finally discontinued.

With all due respect, I think your problem is that you don't appreciate what would be involved in creating a MAC vrsion of the ACT! program. It's not something that can be knocked out in a short periond of time. The development of ACT! 2005 which was a complete rewrite of the ACT! program required a team of programmers and over three years to complete.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

The Mac version was made BEFORE Symantec, but Contact Software.

It was Symantec that dropped the MAC version due to poor sales
Highlighted
Copper Contributor

I second what Roy and GL are saying.  If Sage made a Mac version it would be a wholly new product.  They could not use much more than the images to build it.  This is too costly.

In addition, while Macs have made trendy-mendous in-roads into homes, Apple has actually scaled back their business directives.  They killed the X-Serve line.  Not many companies will run their back-end on Mac Minis or even the wildly overpriced towers.  I'm an Apple fan, but this is simply the case of using the right tool for the job.  If Act is a requirement for your business needs, then you should be on PC.  You software should dictate your hardware, not the other way around.

There is very high cost and little to no reward for Sage.