Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT! email in 2013 on Windows 7 64-bit

ACT! email in 2013 on Windows 7 64-bit

I've been successful in setting up ACT! 2013 on Windows XP with all the functionality that I need.  I have been unable to do the same on Windows 7 Pro 64-bit.  The problem that I'm having is that I cannot get the email portion to work.  I'm not using Outlook, just the ACT! email program.  I have the settings for POP and SMTP correct.  There is no firewall enabled.  Identical settings on XP work ok.  If I configure Outlook on the box, it works just fine so there is nothing blocking POP or SMTP traffic.  DNS for the mail server resolves properly.  Using the IP makes no difference.   Any ideas?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT! email in 2013 on Windows 7 64-bit

There's a major difference between XP and Windows 7. XP had a built in email client but Windows 7 doesn't. ACT! used some of the DLLs from the XP email client. You can download Windows Live Main from Microsoft free and it's similar to the old Windows email client but I don't know if it will work with the ACT! program.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

On the surface, this makes sense, but I'm confused as to why ACT! 2000 works (email too) on Windows 7.  Are you saying that ACT! 2000 has a more advanced email client than 2013?  If your next question is whether XP was upgraded to Windows 7 and therefore the files would be present, no.

Installing Windows Live Mail does not solve the problem.

Platinum Elite Contributor

No, ACT! 2000 had an older email client that realied less on the Windows email DLLs. ACT! 2000 was built for Windows 98.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129