Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT database merge

ACT database merge

Hi,

Sorry if this has been asked/answered but I need some help merging ACT databases.

Current we have two sales guys. One is leaving and the one staying needs to have his ACT database updated so that he has all the data that the guy leaving has. I have seen several KB articles that show how to do an import of the database. I have tried this method but when import process gets to the notes part the import slows to a crawl. I watched it run for about 4 hours. It then threw an 'System.OutOfMemoryException' and the import process stopped and hung. I have run a 'Check & Repair' on both databases and both checks returned no errors. Each time I try to run the import the notes import slows down and at some point I get the exception.

Both machines are currently running Act 2012 Pro. The guy leaving has a Windows 7 laptop. The guy staying has Windows XP.

Would someone mind illuminating this for me? Is this the right process to use or should I try something different?

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: ACT database merge

Hello SMSITAssist,

Welcome to the Sage ACT! Online Community!

The description points to a large number of notes in the database ('large number' can be relative to system resources).

- Make sure you are attempting to import the 'smaller' database into the larger database.  If need be, you can backup the 'complete' database and restore on other computer.

- Do you have both databases on the same computer?  If not, perform backup of the 'smaller' database and restore it on the other computer > then attempt the import.

- Try the import process on a different computer (backup/restore database as necessary to get them on same computer).

Greg Martin
Sage

Hey gmartin,

Thanks for the response. I have tried the following:

Importing the ACT database on a different computer - Tried this. Import crashes at practically the same spot.

The database both have the nearly the same amount of contact records - 13158 vs 13197

Basically, the guy leaving has created notes for each account that the guy staying needs.

Is there a better method than the one I am trying? Perhaps a third-party utility?

Platinum Super Contributor

The number of contacts within the database is a quick way to compare size, but a better determination will be checking the size of the ADF files associated with the databases. Be sure you are importing the smaller into the larger.

There are add-ons available for importing, but I'm not sure if they are set up for database to database import. Here is a link to the add-on web page: http://na.sage.com/Sage-ACT/services/solutions/Import-Export

If your concern is the contacts and their history/notes, another option is to 'export' from database to database. Using Export you can create a lookup of a subset of contacts, then export them. Then create a lookup of the next set of contacts and export them. This may get you around the system memory issue. Test with a lookup of 2 or 3 contacts.

In case you haven't already, be sure to create backups of the databases before imports and major data changes (File > Back Up > Database).
Greg Martin
Sage