Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT data/Indices files are very large

ACT data/Indices files are very large

[ Edited ]

ACTPRO2012MP

The files - index_d_16.ix, index_r_16.ix, and index_di_16.ix -  in my ACT data/Indices file have grown tremendously in the last few weeks to now 256 GB, 143 GB, and 0.7 GB.  Can you tell me what is happening and how to fix it.

After looking some more... I'm wondering if has to do with maintenance.  I have not cleaned or repaired data since installing and using ACT in Dec. of 2011.  Should I run the actdiag?  or do the Tools - data maintenance - check and repair? 

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: ACT data/Indices files are very large

The size of the index files are closely tied to the size of the database attachments folder and size of the database ADF file. If the sizes of the index files appear extremely large compared to the other files, you can recreate the index files.

Close Sage ACT! > delete the Index files > opening database will recreate the files automatically.
Greg Martin
Sage

Re: ACT data/Indices files are very large

Thanks for your answer.  It was very helpful.  I wanted to make sure that deleting the index files would not cause me to lose any contact data.  All went fine.  

Here are the steps I used.  I stopped the ACT! Service Host so that I could delete the inflated indexes.  Then I tried to backup the database and received the cannot insert duplicate keys error.  This is a known issue with ACT! and Sage posted a downloadable batch file to run as a fix.  I ran the file, backed up the database and checked the indexes again to be sure they are not out of size - they were still in the 100,000 KB range - but out of the GB range.  I ran the maintenance tools on the database tool bar and using the actdiag program.  This seemed to make another difference in the size of the index files.  The index files are now at a 30,000 KB range and holding steady at that level. 

I am wondering if the "insert duplicate keys" error is what contributed to the oversize index files?  

I have continued to check the index files since my fixes and all looks good again.