Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT! crashing when emailing via Outlook

Highlighted
Administrator

Re: ACT! crashing when emailing via Outlook

Hi wdthomasjr,

We're aware of some issues emerging out of the latest update of Office, and are working on finding solutions as a priority.
As for a workaround to the issue where Act! will crash during a mail merge, we've received multiple reports that first clicking Write > E-mail Message, then closing the new blank email window, will then allow you to mail merge without issue until Act! is closed.
Highlighted
Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

Also having Act crash on me when mail merging (that fix was short lived that SwiftPage put out!).
Running Act 19.2.146.0 Update 3 with Office 365 Version 1706 build 8229.2103
I'm getting really frustrated now with Act as its costing me money! The work around fix didn't work by the way...

Ok, just down graded Office to version 16.0.4229.1024 so as to get Act working again, now when I finish a mail merge I get the following screen which won't close even after I press cancel. I have to Control/Alt/Delete to close Act then re-open it....

Capture5.PNG

Highlighted
Copper Contributor

Just further to my issues of yesterday - I just ran a mail merge to email for 37 contacts.
Act only runs the first 25 merges then hangs at 25 and I have to control/alt/delete to close Act
Highlighted
Administrator

Hi Sitt1965,

This behaviour is usually down to a lack available system resources. Try closing any other running programs other than Act! and Outlook before you perform your mail merge. Doe this have any effect on the number of emails it sends before halting?
Highlighted
Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi Gary, I didn’t have anything open apart from Act & Outlook.

i came across this KB article although I haven’t tried it yet which looks like this issue may be common?

http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/28237/

Although.that doesn’t help with Act hanging and being unresponsive then having to control/alt/delete to close Act

Highlighted
Administrator

Hi Sitt1965,

That KB article was for a very specific problem, different to what you have described, so I wouldn't recommend replacing your redemption.dll with either of the .dll files in the KB. It is however worth re-registering redemption.dll.
To do this, navigate to your Act! installation folder in your program files, then locate Redemption.dll and regsvr32.exe. Drag and drop Redemption.dll on top of regsvr32.exe. When the prompt appears to let you know that it has registered successfully, click OK

Could you tell us if 25 is always the number of emails the progress dialog shows before halting, even when mail merging to a different set of contacts, and with a different template?
Highlighted

I have used act for a very long time.  It has always worked beautifully.  I use office365 and have been fooling around with the act/outlook/office365 mail merge mess for a while.  I have installed all of the updates through 19.2 fix 3, with no results.   It appears office 2016 might not be having problems with the act/outlook mail merge.
Your advice please...... If the act/outlook mail merge will still work well with office 2016, should I get office 2016 and be able to use my act data or do you think Act will be able to fix this problem with office365 reasonably soon?
Thank you.

Highlighted
Administrator

Hi wdthomasjr,

I apologise for the difficulties you're running into with the mail merge features in Act! right now. Could you tell me the workaround I mentioned in post 21 in the thread has any effect on your issues?

We are currently working on a number of known issues with the latest builds of Office 2016 and 365 as our highest priority, and have gathered a great deal of information about these issues over the past few weeks. If you have an active subscription of Act! or a support contract, please give us a call and we can help you work around the issues you're experiencing for the time being.

Highlighted
Copper Contributor

Hi Gary

I followed your instructions on how to re-register the redemption.dll as you suggested but still the same error when mail merging (email).

I created another group of 38 contacts, created a new template but Act only sends to the first 25 contacts. Again I have to control/alt/delete out of Act as it just hangs

Capture6.PNG

Highlighted
Administrator

Hi Sitt1965,

Could it be the same contact that is included in both groups that is causing the merge to hang?
You could try setting Outlook to offline mode, then performing the merge and checking in your Outlook Drafts folder for the last contact merged, and comparing this to the list of contacts selected in Act!
Does removing the next contact allow the merge to complete?