Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT! crashing when emailing via Outlook

Highlighted

Re: ACT! crashing when emailing via Outlook

OK, I bit the bullet and decided to do a reinstall of Windows 10.... and that appears to have sorted the issues. There must have been corruptions in there somewhere.

Thanks all for your help and suggestions.

Highlighted
Administrator

Hi Bumpydog,

Thanks for letting us know. Sorry we weren't able to advise on a more elegant fix for this.
Highlighted

1. Does this not result in office being in an insecure situation where it is not up to date?

2. Also would it not be helpful to update the KB article to reflect the OLmapi32 and other shared aspects so that you save people spending time looking into this situation. info that is on this thread should be updated to the KB at the very least.

3. Also the comment "Being that this is caused by a Microsoft defect, there are no changes to Act! that need to be made" is less than helpful and if 1. above is correct then it is either work with an insecure product or a broken one which is less than ideal. What are the devs doing to get this resolved by themselves or by MS? 

Highlighted

[ Edited ]

Although I have a (sort of) functioning system, it is far from ideal. I have retrograded my Office installation (to 16.0.6828.1019) and ACT! no longer crashes, but I do get the 'Object reference not set to an instance of an object' *unless* both ACT! and Outlook are ran as an Administrator (which is far from ideal, as certain Outlook functionality is missing when running in Administrator mode i.e. searches). I am awaiting an ACT! v19 upgrade although I'm not holding my breath this will sort my issues. At the moment, I can email and mail merge, which is light years ahead of where I was this time last week.

EDIT: This also impacts other third party apps I have that hook into Outlook i.e. Mailwasher and 4Team's Sync2 (both of which now also need to be run as administrator.

Highlighted
Silver Contributor

Just for clarity MS have put there hands up to causing issues with their update (Not just affecting ACT) and have indicated a correction with the next update but no time scale given.

Highlighted
Administrator

@desquinn72 wrote:

1. Does this not result in office being in an insecure situation where it is not up to date?

2. Also would it not be helpful to update the KB article to reflect the OLmapi32 and other shared aspects so that you save people spending time looking into this situation. info that is on this thread should be updated to the KB at the very least.

3. Also the comment "Being that this is caused by a Microsoft defect, there are no changes to Act! that need to be made" is less than helpful and if 1. above is correct then it is either work with an insecure product or a broken one which is less than ideal. What are the devs doing to get this resolved by themselves or by MS? 

Hi desquinn72,

In response to your questions:

1. Microsoft have made no indication that their recommended workaround would put users in an insecure situation.
  2. I've requested that the OLmapi32 error be further investigated to ensure it is another symptom of the same issue. If this is the case, the KB will be updated to reflect this.
  3. This comment has been removed from the article. It was originally added before the widespread nature of the issue was identified. There are investigations currently underway by the development team to find alternate methods to achieve integration with Outlook.
Highlighted

thanks for your responses and glad progress is happening.

I can say that the olmapi32 issue is resolved by the procedure outlined in the KB article.

Highlighted
Copper Contributor

Hi,

Glad that you have managed to fix the issue.

However, If your Outlook 2016 build version is 16.0.7927.1020, then it might cause the error as "Act Integration has stopped working" while sending an email from act or while performing a calendar/contact sync with outlook.

This issue is addressed and downgrading the Outlook to an earlier build (16.0.4229) seems to fix it.

For more information, please refer to the following KB article.

http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/38580/kw/outlook%20sync

Hope this helps !

Highlighted

I did not get the 'Act integration has stopped working' error. Act simply crashed and closed. The downgrade of Outlook allows me to work.

One other side issue I forgot to mention (which could be unrelated) is that my ACT! address book sometimes disappears from the Email setup configuration and needs to be re-added every once in a while as a result of a corresponding Outlook error.

Highlighted

I was trying to get act to mail merge with outlook in office 365 (office 2016 and windows 10) using some of the workarounds I have read and tried with no luck.
I switched to the internal Act word processor to see if it worked on a mail merge.  It worked but the email address of the client was always blank.  I switched back to Word as word processor and much to my surprise, the Word-Act-outlook mail merge worked.  I entered another merge and Word-Act-outlook mail merge did not work.
It appears that when switching from Act-outlook (run a merge) and then switching back to Word-Outlook, the mail merge will work one time.
Why does switching word processors on a mail merge through outlook allow the program to run the way it is supposed to run for one time only.