Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT! crashing when emailing via Outlook

ACT! crashing when emailing via Outlook

[ Edited ]

A problem appears to have developed recently. I am running ACT! Pro v17.2.217.0 HF2 with Outlook 2016 32-bit (16.0.7927.1020). When I click on a valid email address within a field, ACT immediately crashes (error message ACT! has stopped working...etc).

I have removed the preferences and reset them manually. I have cleared all Windows temp files (I am running Windows 10). I have tried running both ACT and Outlook with admin privileges yet nothing works.

I have completely reinstalled ACT and SQL from scratch - no change.

Outlook works fine for general sending/receiving of emails. Outlook does not crash. This issue only seems to have appeared earlier today.

I have been through the knowledgebase list i.e. UAC, Macro Security etc and carried out an Office 2016 'repair'.

The only slightly strange observation is that, in the Outlook add-ins, the ACT! Outlook add-in is enabled but the path to the file shown (mscoree.dll) is not showing the full path, just the filename. All the other add-ins show the full path i.e. c:\Program Files (x86) \etc etc. Is this normal?

Does anyone have any suggestions of where to look next?

Thanks.

NOTE: I did have an issue with an App this morning (Duet Display - iPad PC 2nd monitor app) which clashed with my GTX690 video card, so had to be uninstalled. The ACT issue commenced after this, but could/should be coincidence. Mail merge was working prior to this app issue.

Bronze Elite Contributor

Re: ACT! crashing when emailing via Outlook

The uninstall should not be the culprit but I also don't believe in coincidences.

Can I suggest looking in the Event Viewer to see if there is more information on what caused the crash as a first step.

Here is a link on using the Windows 10 Event Viewer in case this is new to you.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/faq/id-3128616/windows-event-viewer.html 

Thanks for the info.

Since posting my last message, I have also completely reinstalled Office 365 (with Outlook 2016) and still get the same issue.

The Event Viewer gives me this...

Faulting application name: Act!.exe, version: 17.2.217.0, time stamp: 0x558999ab
Faulting module name: olmapi32.dll, version: 16.0.7967.6531, time stamp: 0x58f7803c
Exception code: 0xc0000409
Fault offset: 0x0012c733
Faulting process id: 0x6544
Faulting application start time: 0x01d2c3ec091412ee
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\ACT\Act for Windows\Act!.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Root\Office16\olmapi32.dll
Report Id: b1a956e3-177d-4fcb-a9e4-db9d260c267c
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

So, I have completely uninstalled and reinstalled both ACT and Office and still have the issue.

Any ideas?

Copper Elite Contributor

Solution in this thread:

https://community.act.com/t5/ACC-Discussions/Email-Act-has-stopped-working/td-p/335042

@Gary W: could you "maintain" the threading, as I'm only a "user"?

Andreas Schlesselmann
Melville-Schellmann GbR
Germany
www.melville-schellmann.de

I am unable to access that link .....

You do not have sufficient privileges for this resource or its parent to perform this action.

Thanks.

Administrator

[ Edited ]

Hi Bumpydog,

Sorry, that thread is in a restricted area of the community. The information contained in it has been collated into the following Knowledgebase article: http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/38580

I know the cause of the issue is different, but I believe it's the same core issue causing the crash, so following the suggested steps should resolve the issue.

@Melville-Schellmann Sorry, I don't understand what you're asking. Feel free to send me a PM.

Thanks, I checked out the link and ran the batch file to change from Deferred to Current channel. I checked for updates and it says I am at the latest revision (16.0.7927.1020 32 bit). ACT still crashes when trying to email anyone.

Am I missing something or is this fix likely to be unrelated?

Thanks.

[ Edited ]

I should also add that I just enabled ACT/Outlook synchronisation (1-way for calendar) and that bombs out with "ACT.Integration has stopped working" after giving me the 'Connecting to Outlook' progress box.

Edit: I should state that the 'ACT.Outlook.Service; process has a red cross against it. I have noticed this before, when the only symptom was that sent emails were not being seen in the relevant History, but it did not prevent emails from being sent (and ACT didn't crash). If I kill the process and reload, the red cross comes back immediately. I have disabled my Norton firewall in case that had somehow changed its configuration.

Administrator

Hi Bumpydog,

The batch file does not change from the Deferred to the Current channel, it's supposed to perform an office installation to take you to a previous version.
It sounds like that might not have happened for you when you ran the batch file. The batch file only applies to retail versions of Office 2016, and not 365 versions as you indicated you have in an earlier post.

I'd suggest you double check what version of Outlook you have using the instructions in the Knowledgebase article, and then follow the steps exactly.

[ Edited ]

OK, sort of one step forward and another back. I have now reverted to Office 16.0.6828.1019 using the MIcrosoft ClickToRun process. One strange observation was that I did not get the 'repair dialogue box' after running the process yet,, when checking the Outlook version, it appears to have reverted to the earlier version OK. (I did allow it to update back to 16.0.7927.1020 and ran the process again to make sure I hadn't missed anything) and have since disabled Updates.

Whilst ACT now does not crash when I click on an email address, it sits and waits for about 30 seconds before giving two error boxes 1. Object reference not set to an instance of an object and 2. The requested performance counter is not a custom counter, it has initialised as Read Only.

Checking KB 38198, it only suggests that the Object reference error applicable is that both ACT and Outlook are set to run as Administrator, which they already are.

I have also noticed in the Event Viewer that I get 5 x Perflib errors and one PerfNet error around the same time....

The Open Procedure for service "BITS" in DLL "C:\Windows\System32\bitsperf.dll" failed. Performance data for this service will not be available. The first four bytes (DWORD) of the Data section contains the error code.

The Open Procedure for service "ESENT" in DLL "C:\Windows\system32\esentprf.dll" failed. Performance data for this service will not be available. The first four bytes (DWORD) of the Data section contains the error code.

The Open Procedure for service "Lsa" in DLL "C:\Windows\System32\Secur32.dll" failed. Performance data for this service will not be available. The first four bytes (DWORD) of the Data section contains the error code.

The Open Procedure for service "MSDTC" in DLL "C:\Windows\system32\msdtcuiu.DLL" failed. Performance data for this service will not be available. The first four bytes (DWORD) of the Data section contains the error code.

The Open Procedure for service "WmiApRpl" in DLL "C:\Windows\system32\wbem\wmiaprpl.dll" failed. Performance data for this service will not be available. The first four bytes (DWORD) of the Data section contains the error code.

Unable to open the Server service performance object. The first four bytes (DWORD) of the Data section contains the status code. (PerfNet)

Short of doing a fresh Windows 10 install, is there an easier way of sorting out these .NET issues. As for the 'Object reference' issue. I used to get this after closing ACT. Any other solutions for this issue?

Thanks.

I am also getting errors in Act!.exe and ActEmail.exe as follows:-

Faulting application name: Act!.exe, version: 17.2.217.0, time stamp: 0x558999ab
Faulting module name: olmapi32.dll, version: 16.0.6868.6530, time stamp: 0x57398cf3
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0015a2b7
Faulting process id: 0x5e30
Faulting application start time: 0x01d2c4be1aba2c6e
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\ACT\Act for Windows\Act!.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Root\Office16\olmapi32.dll
Report Id: a791749b-0515-4f6b-b6f2-55a15e94863b

Faulting application name: ActEmail.exe, version: 17.2.217.0, time stamp: 0x5589910b
Faulting module name: ActEmail.exe, version: 17.2.217.0, time stamp: 0x5589910b
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00053bab
Faulting process id: 0x4bc4
Faulting application start time: 0x01d2c4be420a5955
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\ACT\Act for Windows\ActEmail.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\ACT\Act for Windows\ActEmail.exe
Report Id: df28662c-c8bd-4949-862d-19eaed3507bb

EDIT: I since found a Microsoft NET repair tool and that has fixed the Perflib errors. I only get the 'Object reference' error now after 30 seconds or so (and it doesn't open Outlook. I still get the two exe file errors.