Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT crashing repeatedly. Need help urgently!

ACT crashing repeatedly. Need help urgently!

I have recently installed ACT on another computer and it crashes and will not reopen. It gives me an error as you see below. What can I do? I desperately need this computer to work right. Here's what I've done to fix the problem:

Restart

Uninstall and reinstall ACT

Install a DB from a backup

Merge a new DB.

Here's the error:

https://img.skitch.com/20110628-kp9hneit19q5n5n3xsus7dtxnu.jpg

Any help would be appreciated.

-Kade

Copper Elite Contributor

Re: ACT crashing repeatedly. Need help urgently!

This usually points to a preferences issue - you'll need to delete preferences.  Let me look to find the KB that details how to do this...there have also been other posts.

Kris Lock
Inside Sales Manager/ACT! Certified Consultant
Technology Transfer Services
www.techtransfer.com
www.myodesie.com
Copper Elite Contributor

The link I can give you seems to get truncated and is not accessible.  If you look up/search in the Knowledge Base for How to Delete Preferences you will see the steps.

The first thing you can try is to go through ActDiag and choose Tools/Delete Preferences.

If you open ACT! and you do not get the "Getting Started" Wizard, then you will probably have to use the manual process where you need to delete some files in your AppData folder. (below is copied from the KB article)

Alternate Method: Manually Rebuilding Preferences
If deleting your Preferences through the ACT! Diagnostics utility fails to resolve this issue, you may need to manually rebuild the preferences.

1. Close ACT! and close all MS Office applications (Word, Outlook, Excel)
    2. Open your Windows Task Manager (Ctrl+Alt+Del)
    3. Under the Processes tab in the Task Manager, locate Act.Outlook.Service.exe, select it, and click End Process. Close the Task Manager.
    4. Delete your Preferences through the ACT! Diagnostics utility.
    5. Click on your Windows Start button. For Windows 2000 and Windows XP, click Run on the start menu and type in the following command: %appdata%. For Windows Vista and Windows 7, type this command in the Search box in the lower left of the start menu.
    6. This will open the Application Data folder. In this folder open the ACT folder.
    7. In this folder you should see one or more folders with the following names:
  • Act! by Sage 2010 and earlier: Act for Windows (version#), where "version#" is the current (or previous) version of ACT! installed on this machine.

• Sage Act! 2011: Act Data.

1. Right-click on these folders, select Rename, and add the word "OLD" to the end of the filename. Ex: "Act for Windows 12OLD"
  2. Close Windows Explorer.
  3. Reboot your computer. The Act.Outlook.Service.exe service you previously terminated will restart automatically when your computer restarts.

I'm sure one of the Sage moderators or another community forum participant can post the actual KB article link for you.

Kris Lock
Inside Sales Manager/ACT! Certified Consultant
Technology Transfer Services
www.techtransfer.com
www.myodesie.com
Platinum Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]

The article in question is KB 14770. The method Kris described is found in the second half of the article.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.