Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT cannot find a database

ACT cannot find a database

Hi. Running ACT 2011 Pro on Windows 10. One user.

Anyone know why ACT might not find one database, yet finds others?

My previous laptop crashed & I bought a new one, installed ACT and uploaded my backed-up databases from a flash drive & ACT finds and opens a couple of them, but cannot find two others. I get the message that ""could not find a database called "database name" on host DESKTOP-A5VUKJ5.""

Thanks ahead of time. Cheers.

Chris

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT cannot find a database

Try opening the databases in question using the ADF rather than the PAD. The PAD may be pointing to the old computer. Opening with the ADF will build a new PAD.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

To do what Roy suggested:
File | Open | Browse
Change file type to ADF
Find and open the database

Thanks Roy and Mike. Interestingly, I have "File Folders" for the database(s) I want to open, as well as .PAD files, but there are no .ADF files for them.

Do you know if there's another way to access the databases? Thanks so much. Cheers.

Chris

The ADF is the database ... You need that.
Did you change the File Type to ADF when browsing to open the database?

Try using Windows Explorer outside of Act! to see if it's there ... If not, something went wrong when restoring or backing up

Thanks Mike. No .ADF files in Windows Explorer. Not sure how that happened, but it did. Thanks so much for your help though. Cheers.

How dod you do the backup from the old computer? If you used the Windows to do the backup or a backup program and you didn't stop the SQL server first then the ADF file wouldn't get backuped up because it was being held open by the SQL server. The SQL server opens all attached databases at boot tome and they aren't closed unthi the SQL server is stopped or the computer is tured off.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Roy, I would have inserted a flash drive and clicked on the "backup" within ACT. But to be honest, I don't remember the exact steps I took. Clearly whatever I did was insufficient or incorrect. It's unfortunate.

You might try the restore and see if there is an error you didn't notice before... Or have an Act! consultant check the backup files to see if there's a problem that can be fixed

Thanks Mike. Probably nothing more I can do. Not sure why the one database saved incorrectly, while others didn't. As these things go, it's the important database that I've lost. Such is life. Best to you.