Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT backup – please help - very urgent.

ACT backup – please help - very urgent.

Hi,Could you help me to sort my problem with ACT 8.0 please? You are my last hope….On Friday I lost one partition on my server. Sometimes happens, shouldn’t be a problem as we have proper backup to tape using VERITAS Backup Exec.Today I restored all files form the disk including almost all ACT! files. Obviously .ADF and .ALF files were always skipped during backup process as locked but I had scheduled backup on ACT! so hasn’t bother about this too much. Unfortunately today I found that all backup in .zip format, which I have, are corrupted (any idea what reason it could be?)I have all files restored but without .ADF and .ALF can’t do anything. However I found in the backup folder something which is called my_database_name.BAK. I presume it is database backup so is any way to convert it to .ADF and .ALF files, is it possible? Any other advice what I can do with this problem?I will be really grateful for any urgent help.
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT backup – please help - very urgent.

Hello Poitrlr,

Welcome to the ACT! Online Community. In regards to your issue, have you already done a search of your hard drives for any existing .ADF and .ALF files? If you have and found none, then then .BAK file could possibly be restored to a database (if it is not corrupted). To do this you would need to contact ACT! UK Support...they should have a utility that will allow them to extract that file and reconnect it to SQL. However, please note that ACT! 8.0 (2006) is no longer a supported version. Your other option would be to contact an ACT! Certified Consultant in your region who may have access to that tool as well.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Re: ACT backup – please help - very urgent.

Hello Greig,

Thank you for your reply.

I've just sorted the issue restoring .bak file on another server and coping files to the orginal location. It was quite easy.