Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT asks for password even though I never set one up...

ACT asks for password even though I never set one up...

When I start my computer in the morning and start ACT it asks for a password...and I've never set one up.  Then I have to reboot my computer and restart ACT so I can get into my database.

Does anyone know how to solve this? 

Copper Elite Contributor

Re: ACT asks for password even though I never set one up...

Josh,

the password is optional but the username is not.  You can try your first and last name and

variations to see if that works.  There is also a good KB on this.

ACT! Username or Password Recovery - KB# 14150

Thanks for the advice.

I tried the windows registry idea and under "name" it said "default".  I'm just curious as to why sometimes ACT asks for a user and password and other times it never asks for this info and opens fine. 

Copper Elite Contributor

If you create a database you  become the admin and if you don't add any other users then

you are not required to log in.  Once you add a second user you get the login dialog box.

Other times like restoring a backup or sometimes after applying an update you also have to

login.  Providing login credentials when restoring a backup is a useful security measure in 

case someone makes off with or gets a copy of your database backup.  

I tried entering "default" under user name but that didn't work.  Do you think I should input "admin"?

EVERY morning I have to start ACT, it asks for a user name which I don't know.  I then have to shut down ACT, restart the computer and the next time ACT opens it doesn't ask me to enter a user name...it just opens like it should. 

Copper Elite Contributor

If you have a recent backup (.zip) file you can us that to restore to another location. 

File > Restore Database

3 options will appear: You want to click the middle radio button to "Restore As"

Enter a different database name  and location.