Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT! and Three Instances of Terminal Services for Act! 2008 5 User License

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

ACT! and Three Instances of Terminal Services for Act! 2008 5 User License

Greetings All,

We purchased a 5 user license of ACT! today.  I was busy installing it on three different Terminal Servers today (because we do load balancing) when I realized that this new version (it has been a while) was busy installing SQL Server Express on each of the servers.

Each time one of our Terminal Services users logs in, they are routed to a different terminal server (ts1, ts2 or ts3) based on the current load.

When the 5 Act! users login they could be on any one of the three terminal servers, but we need them all to be using the same database.

Is there some .INI file where I can point all three instances of the program to Microsoft SQL Server Express on just one of the terminal servers (e.g., ts1) so that everyone is always using the same database?

Thank you,

Paul

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author pemurray
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT! and Three Instances of Terminal Services for Act! 2008 5 User License

pemurray wrote:

Okay, we have ACT! up and running on Terminal Server.  But we cannot synchronize activities (outlook appointments).  It looks like it is trying to do something but does not work.  We called tech support.  They said that we had to do detect and repair on Outlook.  I tried that and I get a msg stating that Detect and Repair cannot be run on Terminal Server.  I told the tech that and he just kept repeating the instructions like a robot.  He said he was going to send me detailed instructions on how to fix the problem and of course never did.

Do you get an error? What is it?

What version of Outlook?

What's the exact error when you try D&R? Are you logged in as an Admin at the time?

So then we tried installing on a local machine.  We could not open the database because ACT! said it had been created with a later version.  So we clicked on Help | Update and ACT! proclaimed that we had the latest version.  Very annoying.

Update won't get the latest version as all users need to update... so you don't want a user updating till the admin is ready to do all systems. You can download the current patch from http://www.act.com/support/updates/index.cfm

View solution in original post

All Replies

While there must be a SQL engine installed on all machines runninng ACT!, you point them to the database server in the PAD file.

Have a read of these ACT! Knowledge Base articles - http://tinyurl.com/3oeaaj and http://tinyurl.com/4xuw95

Mike,

Thanks so much!!  I will check out the PAD files.

Best,

Paul

Hey Mike,

I copied the directory name and the .pad file to the two other servers.  It magically works.  I am surprised as I thought I would be prompted the first time on the other servers to navigate to the .pad file.  Odd that it just works.

Question please.  Now that I have ts2 and ts3 pointing to ts1, can I uninstall sql server express on ts2 and ts3?

Also, we are going to use Swiftpage.  Does that work the same way in terminal server? 

Thank you,

Paul

pemurray wrote:

Hey Mike,

I copied the directory name and the .pad file to the two other servers.  It magically works.  I am surprised as I thought I would be prompted the first time on the other servers to navigate to the .pad file.  Odd that it just works.

The PAD file is just a pointer to the ACT! Database - machine, pathc and database name (you can open the PAD in Notepad and see it)

Question please.  Now that I have ts2 and ts3 pointing to ts1, can I uninstall sql server express on ts2 and ts3?

No, but if RAM is an issue, and you're not using Internet Mail in ACT!, you can stop the SQL process on machines not hosting a database

Also, we are going to use Swiftpage.  Does that work the same way in terminal server? 

Yup, should be fine.

Okay, we have ACT! up and running on Terminal Server.  But we cannot synchronize activities (outlook appointments).  It looks like it is trying to do something but does not work.  We called tech support.  They said that we had to do detect and repair on Outlook.  I tried that and I get a msg stating that Detect and Repair cannot be run on Terminal Server.  I told the tech that and he just kept repeating the instructions like a robot.  He said he was going to send me detailed instructions on how to fix the problem and of course never did.

So then we tried installing on a local machine.  We could not open the database because ACT! said it had been created with a later version.  So we clicked on Help | Update and ACT! proclaimed that we had the latest version.  Very annoying.

Can someone please help us?

Thanks!

Paul

Solution
Accepted by topic author pemurray
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

pemurray wrote:

Do you get an error? What is it?

What version of Outlook?

What's the exact error when you try D&R? Are you logged in as an Admin at the time?

Update won't get the latest version as all users need to update... so you don't want a user updating till the admin is ready to do all systems. You can download the current patch from http://www.act.com/support/updates/index.cfm

No.  There is no error message when attempting to sync activities.

Exact message was: Microsoft Office cannot run Detect and Repair on a Terminal Server.  For more information contact your systems administrator.

Yes, I was logged in as administrator.

Thanks, Mike!

And this current patch is for the whole system or to fix activity synching?

Paul

pemurray wrote:

No.  There is no error message when attempting to sync activities.

Exact message was: Microsoft Office cannot run Detect and Repair on a Terminal Server.  For more information contact your systems administrator.

Yes, I was logged in as administrator.

Maybe try http://support.microsoft.com/kb/899117

Or a reinstall as suggested here - http://www.freelists.org/archives/thin/07-2005/msg00532.html

What version of Office and Windows?