Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT! and Palm OS - Future is Windows and/or Blackberry

Tuned Listener

ACT! and Palm OS - Future is Windows and/or Blackberry

ACT!/Palm Treo 650 (AT&T)/ACT! for Palm user rant...

Why is ACT! completely ignoring the Windows Mobile AND/OR Blackberry OS?

I am in dire need of a new mobile telephone as mine is beat-up after 2-1/2 years. Unfortunately, the offerings from AT&T are either Refurbished (aka "used") or models with the teeny-tiny keypads.... same with Verizon, if I wanted to switch carriers after 17 years of AT&T/Cingular/AT&T.

I like the native ACT! application for the Palm plus the larger keypads as I have fat fingers. I will switch to a Windows Mobile or Blackberry smartphone before I purchase a mini-Palm.

Again, Why is ACT! completely ignoring the Windows Mobile AND/OR Blackberry OS? Palm OS appears to be less of a force and will, most likely disappear or be a 1% solution in the future.

Please, please don't tell me to use Link for Palm, GoldMine, Companion, Maximizer, Agendus or any other application that relies upon upon the Palm Desktop or Outlook. I've tried them all. I want a native application that looks, feels and operates as closely as possible to the desktop application.

As bad as ACT! is, it's not that bad (back-handed compliment). I've been a user for at least 6 or 7 years. I have 2 small businesses plus a professional (CPA/Consulting) practice and rely upon ACT! for scheduling, e-mail/contact history, etc.

Too bad Outlook will not implement some of the benefits of ACT! (Outlook s*cks with recurring tasks, for example. The time is not "reserved" on future dates and it is definite one could double-book. Tasks cannot be assigned a specific time. Meetings cannot be cleared, only deleted, after completion. etc. etc. etc. Need I say more? Uncle Bill - Are you listening? Or is it, Steve - Are you listening?)

Am I wrong?

Come on, Sage. Get with the 21st Century - multiple platforms - or wither.    /end of rant

Champion Listener

Re: ACT! and Palm OS - Future is Windows and/or Blackberry

Thanks KGlenCole

All I can tell you is, watch this space..... Enhanced support of these devices is absolutley part of our product strategy and near term product plans.  

Dave

Tuned Listener

Re: ACT! and Palm OS - Future is Windows and/or Blackberry

Dave,

I read the document... Apparently, too high-level and too much tech-jargon for my brain. Didn't get what Sage is going to do with respect to Windows Mobile and/or Blackberry except it sounds as if Sage is going to the Handheld Contact model which, in my opinion, is overkill if it is the only option. Good idea for some, but what about those of us who do not need constant sync? How hard can it be to write ACT! for Mobile or ACT! for Blackberry? I don't want to spend an extra $250-$300 per year for constant sync as with Handheld Contact.

Finally, the document specifically mentioned development across different platforms for CRM, not ACT! Several places within the document drew a distinction between ACT! and CRM, so one could infer that development across different platforms for ACT! in an increasingly mobile business world is not part of the strategy(ies).

I would welcome the opportunity to purchase either ACT! for Mobile or ACT! for Blackberry. The Palm OS, in my opinion, is small and getting smaller. Plus, the mobile carriers are reducing their offerings of Palm OS smartphones. It cannot be that difficult to develop an application for either one.

Take care.

K Glenn Cole, CPA

Copper Contributor

Re: ACT! and Palm OS - Future is Windows and/or Blackberry - Really?

The market momentum maybe Windows Mobile or Blackberry. However, despite the loss of market share, the Palm user base is large and well-established. It wasn't that long ago that Palm was number one. Market share can change rather quickly depending upon what the "hot" smartphone happens to be - currently Blackberry with the iPhone gaining momentum. There are ACT for Palm users, like myself, who would like to see the ACT for Palm option continue. Despite the lack of an updated Palm OS (apparently there is another OS in development), it still has less issues than Windows Mobile. Cannot speak for the Blackberry. If Sage wants to offer the Mobile/Blackberry option, that's fine. The more options, the better.
Tuned Listener

I have no problem with Sage offering ACT for Palm...  I like ACT for Palm... a LOT... it's just that the MAJOR carriers, AT&T and Verizon, are phasing out the Palm OS smartphones. Ergo, Sage must be proactive. Geez, this shouldn't come as a surprise to Sage.
Platinum Elite Contributor

KGlennCole:

You might have a look at this post:

http://blog.glcomputing.com.au/2008/12/sage-to-discontinue-act-for-palm-os.html

Especially the link at the bottom where Palm announced they are dropping PalmOS