Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT! and Outlook

ACT! and Outlook

Does anyone have any knowledge about how to restore the link between Outlook and ACT!? When I initially installed ACT! 2007, the installation placed an ACT! icon on my Outlook toolbar. After several weeks, it disappeared. I don't know if this is related, but when I send an e-mail by clicking on the e-mail address in the Contact info, ACT! e-mail launches, but it no longer puts the contact's e-mail address in the To: field.

Re: ACT! and Outlook

2007 does not support Outlook - had the same thing happen - was able to use Outlook for a few days then it went away.  Support says NO - you have to get 2008 for Outlook support

Well, all I can say is that the only reason I upgraded to 2007 wasthat  the the promotional literature I received touted the "seamless" integration of the "New ACT! 2007" with Outlook. I would even say that the document suggested that when I received an e-mail in Outlook from an ACT contact, the content of the message would automatically be added to the history file for that contact. I could never achieve that level of integration, but I could do it manually from Outlook.

And Sage has certainly changed their story, because I had several discussions with Tech Support just after I purchased it because I was having problems with the Outlook integration, and they helped me get it working!!!

So, ACT! Marketing, you can fool me once, but there's no way I'm upgrading on some specious promise that 2008 will finally achieve the Outlook integration promised for 2007!

Well I had this happen and I had to go back into the email accounts option and add the ACT address book back.  Once I did this it asked me to for the directory for where your ACT database is stored and your username and password.   Then I had to make sure that I was not using Word as my email editor.  Once I did this I got the icons back.  I have been able to add contacts from emails (not automatic) and when sending mail, it depended on the choice I had made when I went to the Options and ACT tab.  If worse came to worse, I have had to reinstall ACT on one of the machines.  That seemed to help as well.

Copper Contributor

They really told you that?   I am an ACT! Certified Consultant and can unequivocally tell you that ACT! 2007 integrates with Outlook 2000, Outlook 2002/XP and Outlook 2003. It even works with Outlook Express.   See our website for more information http://www.thecrmconnection.com/act2007.htm

If you lost the ACT! icons in Outlook, check the belwo from th ACT Knowledge Base:

John

KB Article 14167
Question   You want to attach an e-mail message in your Outlook Inbox to an ACT! contact but find that the ACT! icon is missing.   Answer   This can occur if the ACT! Extensions have been disabled in Outlook. Follow the steps below for your version of Microsoft Outlook:

Outlook 2003/2002:
Ensure that the ACT! Add-in is selected:
  1. Open Outlook.
  2. Click the Tools menu, then choose Options.
  3. Select the Other tab and click on Advanced Options.
  4. Click on the Add-In Manager.
  5. Check the box next to ACT! Extensions if it is not already checked.
  6. Click OK three times.
  7. Restart Outlook.
    If that does not resolve the issue, Outlook may have disabled the features. Do the following to determine if Outlook has disabled the options:
    1. Launch Outlook
    2. Click the Help menu, and then click About Microsoft Outlook.
    3. In the lower right corner of the window, click Disabled Items.
    4. You will see at least one item listed in the Disabled Items window. Look for a file path that ends with either ACT7EXT.DLL or ACT7AB32.DLL (capitalization may differ). This path will vary depending on your operating system. (Looking at the end of the path is the easiest method for locating the ACT! add-in components.)
    5. If you see either of the two items mentioned in step 4, enable them.
    6. Close Outlook and ACT!
    7. Restart Outlook.

Outlook 2000:
    The ACT7EXT.DLL or ACT7AB32.DLL are not installed correctly. You will need to uninstall and reinstall ACT!. Please refer to the following Knowledge Base Answers:

Uninstall:
      Title: How to Uninstall ACT! by Sage 2007 (9.0) and ACT! by Sage Premium for Workgroups 2007 (9.0)
      Answer ID: 19345

Title: How To Uninstall ACT! 2006
      Answer ID: 15289
      Title: How to Uninstall ACT! 2005
      Answer ID: 13895
    Installation:
      Title: How to Install ACT! by Sage 2007 (9.0)
      Answer ID: 19168
      Title: How to Install ACT! by Sage Premium for Workgroups 2007 (9.0) (EX Edition)
      Answer ID: 19340
      Title: How to Install ACT! by Sage Premium for Workgroups 2007 (9.0) (ST Edition)
      Answer ID: 19155
      Title: How to Install ACT! 2006 for Windows
      Answer ID: 15238
      Title: How To Install ACT! 2006 Premium for Workgroups
      Answer ID: 15188
      Title: How to Install ACT! 2005
      Answer ID: 13887
      Title: How to Install ACT! 2005 Premium for Workgroups
      Answer ID: 13888
    For additional information on this issue, refer to the following Knowledge Base Answer:
      Title: How to Verify that the ACT! Toolbars are Available in Outlook
      Answer ID: 14261
    You may be able to resolve this issue by renaming a Microsoft Extensions Extend.dat file. Click the link below for detailed information on this process:
    John Kaufman
    john@thecrmconnection.com
    www.thecrmconnection.com

ACT! BPAC Member - Want your voice heard? Contact me or any of the other BPAC Members

John,

I am having the same problem but using Act! 2008 and Outlook 2003.    I have Outlook as my email, have disabled word as the editor, have my Act database loaded, but can't get the tools/options field to show in Outlook so I can show my history preferences.

I used your advice below to check the add-in items and disabled items as well, but nothing there related to Act! 2008.

Any help would be appreciated, I am using this as a trial and trying to decide if this will work or should I give up and use another program.   I have successfully upgraded from 6.0 so I was very happy with that, but the Outlook integration is killing me!

Thanks

I am anxious for this answer.  I use ACT 6.0 and have the same issue.   IMportantly, why has this happened???
    Copper Contributor

Did you add any other programs that read your outlook email?  I had that problem where my ACT 2007 was not integrating with my Outlook 2000.  The techs from ACT! Tried to get my system up and running but I was given the impression that they messed it up even more.  I ultimately just backed up all my files with the Windows utility.  And then reformatted my HDD and reinstalled all the programs making sure I kept track of what programs were integrating with each program.  Any errors I would immediately research before anything else.  System is up and running well needless to say.  That and I have upgrading to Outlook 2003. 

The thing I did notice that is that uninstalling doesn't necessarily remove the registry entries.  That could be the main problem here. 
    V Flores
    ACE Packaging Inc.
    Package Design or Standard offerings we have it all. New car scent will cost extra.

If you are using it as a trial and you remove it from your system and try to reinstall your previous version you may have serious issues! I did that and I could not reinstall my old version. Check with tech support and make sure you can as free tech support before you install the trial version and reinstall your old version! I spent over 8 hours on the phone with India and then Atlanta before I could get my old ACT version 2007 to work again. And then I decided to go to 10.0 and could not get my databases to convert to 10.0. I spent another two days with tech support before 10.0 would convert my databases. Now I can't use my email and the help function will not work!  BACKUP your databases in EXCEL! Export to EXCEL and save in a file I call Act databases. Had I not done this I would have lost all my data during the process I described above. If your ACT crashes at least you will have EXCEL as a safeguard.

My ACT 10.0 email or help function will not work at all. I upgraded from the last version 2007 and did not have any problems with email or the help function. I am about to give up and try goldmine of something else that will work. I have been using ACT about 15 years and this has me stumped! 

MorrisW