Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT! address book slows Outlook to snail's pace

Tuned Listener

ACT! address book slows Outlook to snail's pace

I've had ACT! 2010 installed for a few months now on a standalone machine (Pentium dual-core E6300 2.8GHz 3.25GB RAM / Windows XP SP3 / Outlook 2003). Initially all was well but suddenly I now have the following issue. Every time I click on an email message in Outlook it takes around 10 seconds to open.

In trying to investigate what might be wrong I've discovered that if I remove the ACT! address book from Outlook, emails open instantly - just like in the good old days! If I add the ACT! address book back in Outlook slows to a snail's pace again. I've also noticed, using the task manager, that CPU usage rockets to around 50% after I double click the email to when it finally opens. In fact I can actually hear the machine working harder during this period.

I guess I may have changed something because I didn't have the problem previously. I've tried detect and repair (no effect) and tidying up/archiving old mailboxes (no effect). If this is just the price to pay for Outlook integration then I'm a bit disappointed but I don't believe that to be the case because I didn;t have this problem when I started.

I've searched the community forums and found numerous posts regarding Outlook performance issues but I didn't recognise a solution to my problem (I may have missed it).

If anyone has any ideas how I can keep the Outlook integration features without suffering this performance problem I'd be really grateful to hear about them.

Thanks

Simon 

Bronze Super Contributor

Re: ACT! address book slows Outlook to snail's pace

Did you set up any email rules in Outlook that integrate to Act!?
Tuned Listener

Hi Scott,

Thanks for responding. I did set up an Outlook rule to attach incoming messages to ACT! contacts exactly as described in ACT! help and it works fine. I've tried removing all the rules but the delay in opening emails occurs irrespective of whether I activate this rule or delete it.

Tuned Listener

Yes me too.

That's why I fully abandoned Act! integration to Outlook.

I manually export my mails from outlook and then manually import them into Act! to store them and attach them to the contacts.

Yes, this sounds dumb, but by just fully remove the Act AddIn from Outlook  makes this latter open in 10 seconds.

If I set the Act AddIn back into Outlook then Outlook takes approx 2 to 3 minutes each time I open it, which is not acceptable.

And it runs on a 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, which is not a particularily slow machine.

The Act AddIn definitely  need some major improvements, as it makes Outlook unusable.

Steve JORDI