Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT! Version 11 - Database cannot be accessed...Need help.

ACT! Version 11 - Database cannot be accessed...Need help.

I am a single user without networking capabilities on my laptop.  I tried to open my ACT ver. 11 database, named brett, today (as I always do every day) but this time I was unable to do it and received the following:

The database  could not be accessed.  In order to access this database, check your network connection and verify that your database server is available.  It may be necessary to disable your firewall software on your computer or the server.

What can I do to open it and run.

I have reset the SQL Server (act&) and still not able to access.

Get a window asking for login user name w/password for the database and I can't get in.

either my user name isn't correct I cant figure this out  Please help!  If I can't find my correct used name /password how can I get access to the database?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT! Version 11 - Database cannot be accessed...Need help.

Hello Richksales,
Welcome to the Sage ACT! Community. It sounds like you resolved the first issue by restarting the SQL Server service. As for your login, your user name is usually a variation of your own name - try different combinations of your name.
Examples:
John Smith
John
John R. Smith

Leave the password blank, as they are optional and you may nor have created one. You will have a username as this is required and was created when you created the database.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

That didn't work.  Here is what the error code says:

Error

"The database brett(name of my d/b)could not be accessed. In order to access this database check your network connection and verify that your database server is available. It may be necessary to disable any firewall software on your computer or the server."

Prior to getting this error I get the login user name and password which I have tried the only variation I would which is Rich or Richksales and I know I had no password in there.

I am a single user and the program and software are resident on my laptop.

Now what?    

Rich               

ACT! Version 11 - Database cannot be accessed...Need help 2 nd request

This is my 2nd post for help.  I have checked the SQL Servers and they are set correctly.

I am a single user without networking capabilities on my laptop.  I tried to open my ACT ver. 11 database, named brett, today (as I always do every day) but this time I was unable to do it and received the following:

"The database  could not be accessed.  In order to access this database, check your network connection and verify that your database server is available.  It may be necessary to disable your firewall software on your computer or the server."

What can I do to open it and run.

I have reset the SQL Server (act7) and still not able to access.

Get a window asking for login user name w/password for the database and I can't get in.

either my user name isn't correct I cant figure this out  Please help!  If I can't find my correct used name /password how can I get access to the database? I am a single  user and I have a blank area for the password.  What does the message mean ?

[ Edited ]

Rich,
Normally, the login screen would not come up if the "database cannot be accessed" error appears, since the login screen is particular to the database. Can you please clarify - when you get the database access error, then the login screen appears? In the title bar for that login window, does it have the name of your database?

And when you try to log on, are you getting the "Could not authenticate user"? This would indicate an incorrect username and/or password.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

It says Log on to brett(which is correct) . When I click ok I then get the message as stated previously: "The database could not be accessed. In order to access this database, check your network connection and verify that your database server is available. It may be necessary to disable your firewall software on your computer or the server."

Interesting...do this:
- Close ACT!
- Click your Windows Start button, either click Run or go to the Search box on the Start menu, and type actdiag. This will open  the ACT! Diagnostics utility.

- Click Databases > Database List

Is your database in the list? If so, what is in the Status column? If you look in the File Path column, is this the correct location of the database?

Greig Hollister

Says "Suspect" as i cut and pasted below. Path is ok
brett Status/SUSPECT
Size/ 0.00 Created/9/29/2011 11:19 AM
File Path/C:\Users\Richksales\Documents\ACT\ACT Data\Databases\brett.ADF
Options/BLANK

I was checking the SQL server listings and was curious about the others listed and what should the status be:
SQL active diretory helper service
SQLServer Agent Act 7
SQL Server VSS Writer

OK. You may be able to resolve this by moving your database to a new directory. Follow these steps exactly:

- Go to your Windows Start menu, type in services.msc

- In the list of services, locate the SQL Server (ACT7) and stop the service

- Open Windows Explorer and create a new folder directly on your C: drive called "ACT! Database"

- Browse to the current location of your database and copy these files:

brett.adf

brett.alf

brett-database files (this is a folder)

do not copy the brett.pad file

- Paste them in the "ACT! Databases" folder you created earlier

- Open up ACT! Diagnostics again, then Databases > Database List

- Click in the box to the left of your database (the one that is Suspect) to highlight it, then right-click and select Delete. This will delete the invalid SQL connection. If you get any errors, just click through them. Your database should disappear from the list

- Close ACT! Diagnostics

- Go back into services and restart the SQL Server (ACT7) service

- Open ACT! - you may get a message that the last database opened could not be located - just click OK

- Go to File > Open Database

- In the lower right of the Open box, change file type from (.PAD) to (.ADF)

- Browse to the the copy of your database in C:\ACT! Database, and double-click "brett.adf"

- You will get a message that ACT! will verify the database, then it will take ~30-60 seconds while it reconnects to SQL

- You should then get the login screen for your database and be able to log in

Greig Hollister