Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT Version 10

ACT Version 10

Hi

Having used ACT for many years

I am currently working with 3 user version 9 and after many installation problems all seems to be well.

One shortcoming is that when adding documents from a server they actually go into ACT (somewhere) but do not update with the latest server version. I think I read or saw somewhere recently that Version 10 actually just links with the server (rather than copies the document) so in fact sees the latest version of the document.

Can anyone confirm this as I dont seem to be able to find this - also why else should I update to version 10 what would the benefits be?

Any help to this elderly marketeer, comuter literate but always learning would be much appreciated

Regards

D  

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT Version 10

Yes, ACT! 10 gives you the choice between attaching and copying the file to ACT! or attaching a shortcut to the file on a file server or local copy.

Try this ACT! Knowledge Base article - http://tinyurl.com/3gfw4q

Mike

Many thanks for that, it is exactly the information that I required

Regards

D

Hi Mike, If you use the shortcut method for the file, will the database be able to track the file if it or the folder it resides in is moved?

No... ACT! stores a windows shortcut to the file in the attachments folder. So these would need to be updated

Hi Mike

One other quick question.  whether you use the actual file or shortcut.  Can you have the regarding column in the history tab just display the file name and not the path?  The file paths are so long that it gets cut off and you can't tell what the file is unless you open the attachement.

I just upgraded from V8 to v10 and V8 just showed the filename not path so it wasn't an issue.

Hope you have some feedback.

Not by default. You can open the History item and change the Regarding - this wont effect the attachment as that's a different field.

You might post a request for this feature to be considered for a future version here - http://www.act.com/community/feature

Input from this web page goes directly into a database that management has direct access to read, and which they also track and gather statistics on.

You obviously post a lot on this site, I have read a lot of your comments on other issues.  I did a search on this issue in the Forums and could not see anyone else complaining about this.  Am I the only one?  Do you manually change the regarding field yourself or is your filepath shorter that it is not an issue?

Can you make the regarding column in the history tab hold more characters so you can see the whole filepath?

You can drag all the columns on the tab... so you can reduce the size of some and increase the regarding. 

You could show the Preview on the right hand side (Under Options at the top-right of the tab)

Personally, I rarely just attach a doc to History... I either record a History (Ctrl-h) with the details and attach the item to the relevant history, or if I need to access the doc for the contact regularly, I use the Documents tab - which is really nice with this free viewer:

http://community.act.com/sage/board/message?board.id=ADN_Downloads&thread.id=2