Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT V19 Address book very slow opening when used with Outlook 2016

Copper Contributor

ACT V19 Address book very slow opening when used with Outlook 2016

I recently applied the upgrade to V19 that was supposed to fix issues with MS Office 2016 due to an MS update. Now, whenever I open the ACT address book from within Outlook, it takes a couple of minutes for it to open. Does anyone have a similar issue? If so, have you figured out what is causing it?

I didn't have the issue until I applied the update. Thanks.

Re: ACT V19 Address book very slow opening when used with Outlook 2016

[ Edited ]

Hi artenglert,

Recent updates should not have effected the way that Outlook speaks with the Act! Database, Would you be able to confirm the update that you have installed? and if the database is local or shared over a network?

I would like to know if another adding another database still causes Outlook to open slowly. If you can go to 'Tools > Preferences > Email and Outlook Sync > Email system setup > Next to Page 3 Of 8'. Once here remove your main database and add in a Test or Demo database. Test by Reopening Outlook.

If this opens in better time I would recommend adding in the main database once again but leaving the Test database in. please ensure the Default Tick box has the main database selected

Copper Contributor

Hello Horn,

Thanks for responding so quickly. Allow me to clarify, ACT and Outlook both open quickly on all 3 PC's on the peer-to-peer (The database is shared on a peer-to-peer and has always been). I have ACT set up as the address book in Outlook. It's when I open the address book from within Outlook to write an e-mail, that it opens very slowly. I timed it and it took 1:30 to open. We have been using Outlook 2016 for quite some time and the ACT address book has always opened from within Outlook in a reasonable amount of time. We are all running Windows 10 Pro. Two of the PC's have 8GB RAM and my PC has 32GB. If I open an e-mail address from within ACT, it opens quickly.

The update is: Act! Pro Version 19.2.146.0, Update 2.

Regards,

Art

Copper Contributor

Hello Horn,

Thanks for responding so quickly. Allow me to clarify, ACT and Outlook both open quickly on all 3 PC's on the peer-to-peer (The database is shared on a peer-to-peer and has always been). I have ACT set up as the address book in Outlook. It's when I open the address book from within Outlook to write an e-mail, that it opens very slowly. I timed it and it took 1:30 to open. We have been using Outlook 2016 for quite some time and the ACT address book has always opened from within Outlook in a reasonable amount of time. We are all running Windows 10 Pro. Two of the PC's have 8GB RAM and my PC has 32GB. If I open an e-mail address from within ACT, it opens quickly.

The update is: Act! Pro Version 19.2.146.0, Update 2.

Horn wrote:

Hi artenglert,

Recent updates should not have effected the way that Outlook speaks with the Act! Database, Would you be able to confirm the update that you have installed? and if the database is local or shared over a network?

I would like to know if another adding another database still causes Outlook to open slowly. If you can go to 'Tools > Preferences > Email and Outlook Sync > Email system setup > Next to Page 3 Of 8'. Once here remove your main database and add in a Test or Demo database. Test by Reopening Outlook.

If this opens in better time I would recommend adding in the main database once again but leaving the Test database in. please ensure the Default Tick box has the main database selected

Regards,

Art

Sorry for the wait in responding to you and thank you for providing more information

I wanted to double check this issue and it would appear that it is one of the current issues with the new build of Outlook.

Sadly at this time I do not have a work around or resolution to this issue, we are treating the range of issues with Outlook as a high priority at this time

Copper Contributor

Hello Horn,

Thanks again for the response. At least I know I'm not losing my mind. I will await the patch to fix it.

Regards,

Copper Contributor

I am having the same problem. It takes about 45 seconds for the Act! Address Book to load.

Thank you for letting us know.

From my experience of the issue this has something to do with the size of the database (.ADF file), as adding the demo or a test appears to work quickly.

Copper Contributor

Is Act! working on a fix?
Copper Contributor

My database size has not changed significantly since I updated from Version 18 to 19. I had 7082 contacts in the database when I switched to version 19. Now I have 7096, which doesn't seem like a lot to me.  While I was running version 18, I had no issues with the address book opening in a reasonable amount of time. Of course, with version 18, the Act to Outlook integration would stop at any given time, but it was easily reactivated.

I tried uninstalling version 19 and going back to version 18, however I get the message that the database has been upgraded and version 18 can no longer access it. Is there a simple method of going back to version 18 without having to rebuild the database or load an old backup?

I would prefer to that and wait for a fix than to continuously synchronize ACT with Outlook (which takes quite a while) or wait for the address book to open every time I need to send an e-mail....which is quite a few times every day.