Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT! Upgrades - more like bug fixes, not "enhancements"

Copper Contributor

ACT! Upgrades - more like bug fixes, not "enhancements"

Is it just me or are the ACT! upgrade really more like bug fixes (things we should NOT be paying big $$ for) instead of enhancements?  ACT! was a great product up through release 6.x.  After that (especially with the major rewrite) it still seems very buggy/unstable.

I have no problem with ACT! charging for support if it is a bonafide user/training issue.  However, I do NOT believe users should be paying for support when it is found that the program does not work as it should (conflicts and configuration issues with Microsoft Office integration, etc.

Ok, I guess I am done with my rant.  (-;

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT! Upgrades - more like bug fixes, not "enhancements"

I beg to differ.  While the update from 6.x to 2005 version was incredibly painful, requiring manually copying and pasting thousands of history records, the enhancements of the activity/history tables to company and contact tables have provided outstanding reporting capability when used with Stonefield Query.  The new releases are always buggy, but given the potential for database customization, the SQL based product is far superior to the older flat file db format IMHO.

The new ACT! 2009 would easily be the cleanest new version I've seen in 21 years (including 6.0 that had a few issues till 6.02). Not a hug amount of new stuff other than the Outlook integration, Lookups, improved backups and sync... But you can see a payoff in the huge effort they must have spent in performance, stability and usability.

The only real area 6.0 is better is if you hard drives are 5400rpm or slower - 7200rpm is recommended for SQL versions.

If you had to manually copy/paste history/etc to convert, it's more likely codebase corruption that 3.0-6.0 databases were prone to that you didn't notice until access that data (and all the data needed to be accessed to convert it). Versions since 2005 added some improvements to handle some of thecodebase issues, but still sometimes it's necessary to repair the 6.0 db before it will convert.

Copper Contributor

You are preaching to the choir my friend.  I spent good money on Act 2008 a contact manager that can't seem to handle more then 30-40 events in a day.  Honestly if I would have known that was the limitation (on my 4GB system) then I would have stuck with Outlook, which lacks features but is faster then Act!

The memory management in Act is horrible, the way they impliment the SQL is not done that way by anyone else that I know of.  They completely over use drop down boxes where I would favor Radio Buttons or check boxes.  My system nearly hangs when I load the dashboard because the memory management is so horrible the dashboard can't handle a data base with 1500 contacts.

I was told by Act Support that 50 activities in a day is just too much.

As an Encore it doesn't seem like you can export all your data completely.

If you are on a RANT, just color me Bitter. 

raa29642 wrote:

Is it just me or are the ACT! upgrade really more like bug fixes (things we should NOT be paying big $$ for) instead of enhancements?  ACT! was a great product up through release 6.x.  After that (especially with the major rewrite) it still seems very buggy/unstable.

I have no problem with ACT! charging for support if it is a bonafide user/training issue.  However, I do NOT believe users should be paying for support when it is found that the program does not work as it should (conflicts and configuration issues with Microsoft Office integration, etc.

Ok, I guess I am done with my rant.  (-;

padova:

If you are having memory consumption issues with ACT!, then you may be experiencing the "memory leak" issue with .NET 2.0.  This is actually a Microsoft issue that causes ACT! to consume too much memory.  Please see the suggestions in the following post for an explanation and hopefully a resolution to your issue:

http://community.act.com/sage/board/message?board.id=ACT&message.id=13467&query.id=10311#M13467

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Tuned Listener

I'm right there with you.  I wish I never upgraded.  Rescheduling activiities is so burdensome, and the fact that you can't drag & drop multiple activities on the calendar as in older versions is a great loss to me. 

I've accepted the fact that this product has gone way downhill, but for now I just have to accept it.  However, I'm keeping my eyes and ears open, because as soon as I have time to really look into another program, I'll switch.  

And I agree that having to pay for "upgrades" for things that never should have been released in the first place (until the bugs were worked out) is wrong.

Jeff

I've been "trapped" in ACT! hell since V4 (I think, I've lost track of all the "upgrades")

Look, I know some of it is self-inflicted. I use ACT!'s email program (been having email account passwords disappearing for over 4 years with ACT! support guru's telling me they need to study the problem). Plus, I'm too cheap to pay $300 to someone to tell me how to fix their software. 

This yearly upgrade fee is killin me! Why doesn't Sage quit the false advertising and just tell owners there is a yearly subscription fee of $99.999999 cents. First, I thought is was just the new owner that seemed to by the rights to the software every year. But since Sage has been holding it...... well, there goes that idea (cause they haven't slowed up none). The other problem with the yearly upgrade is that you also get pinged by any ACT! add ons you might use (I use two) AND ANOTHER THING.....

I love my neatreceipts scanner and software. Their card scanner program was actually written to scan directly into ACT!.........7! That's S_E_V_E_N. No one can keep up with Sage's thirst for $. Are they just trying to shoot themselves in their own eye or sumpin?

BUT!!! The least the owners could do for "painfully loyal" users is send out a full blown program upgrade on their dime (a measley $4 maybe?) with each update purchased. If I lose my hard drive I have to reload the original 2000 disc and upgrade from there. What a pain.

Whew......

Aw, shoot. I thought venting would make me feel better.Smiley Sad

If it is a known issue then why is nothing done about it??

Seems all your SQL problems are M$ problems aswell.

If you keep passing the buck then people will look for alternatives.  

Dont give me the pain give me the baby!!!

Tuned Listener

Aloha,

I have 2008 (10.0) Version 10.0.3.182, Hotfix 1

Mahalo,

Jeff

By the way, I was told by ACT! that there's nothing that can be done.  It's do to SQL.  Of course, if you have any suggestion(s), I'm all ears.