Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT Sync Error

ACT Sync Error

I have a remote office and am having an issue syncin' up my database with my work server.

I am running ACT 2007 9.0 EX Edition Version 9.0.1.162 Hotfix 1

When I try to sync up I am getting the following issue:

""Failed to open a connection to the database. Contact your administrator for assistance."

Can someone point me in the right direction?

-Tom

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: ACT Sync Error

Hello Tmullins23,

Welcome to the Act! Online Community!

To verify: you are able to open the remote database - is that correct? 

And you get the 'Failed to connect' message when you attempt to sync...

It appears you do not have the Premium version of Act!, so you need to have the main database open when trying to sync.  Have you checked to ensure the main/publisher database is open on the server?

If that does not resolve it, can you provide the following:

- What type of connection does your computer have to the server? (ex: Lan, VPN)

- Is this the complete message?  If not, please provide the complete message.

- Was this working before?

Greg Martin
Sage

Hi Greg;

Thank you for your response.

To answer your questions to the best of my knowledge.

- I am able to open the remote database. I believe the copy is saved on my C: (Local drive). We also have 4 other sales guys who are able to sync. It appears that I am the only one have the issue.

- I am using a VPN connection.

- Yes, this is the complete message.

- Yes, it was working before.

I originally thought it was my wireless router blocking the connection. I went out and bought a new router and it is doing the same thing. I also tried to connect to my cable modem via ethernet cable - Same error. I even tried my ATT air card - Same error.

Also I have ACT! by sage premium for workgroups 2007. (9.0)

Any update here?

Double check the information under the Tools > Synchronization Panel > Manage Connection Information option.  Check this against one of the remote databases that is syncing successfully.

Greg Martin
Sage

Checked... Everything looks identical.

Any other ideas?

To see if this is an issue with the remote database itself (or the VPN connection) you can create a new remote from the server and restore it on the workstation.  Then attempt to sync it.  If it is able to sync successfully, then the issue lies within the original remote database.  You can then try running 'Check and Repair' located under the Tools > Database Maintenance option.  You can run the Check and Repair before creating a new remote...

If the new remote cannot sync, the issue most likely lies in the VPN connection or translation of the connection information.  What is the information in the Manage Connection Information screen?  (machine name or IP address)

When connected to the VPN, attempt to PING the IP address (if that is what is in the connection information).  To 'ping': click on Windows Start > select Run (on XP) or use Search (Vista/Win7) > enter 'CMD' and hit enter.  In the DOS command box enter 'ping xxxxxxx' (where xxxxxx equals your IP address).  If the ping results in timeout errors, the workstation is not finding the host machine.

Greg Martin
Sage

I tried to run the check and repair before making the new remote but the check and repair is grey'd out. Any ideas?

The info in the sync settings is as follow:

Databasename; TomM

Database machine: Ca-Sales-04\act7

Main databse: caclients

Sync set: fully sync set

Sync server machine: CAGBGSRV

Sync server port: 65100

Internet server address: http://http

expiratoin period: 60

database status: active

-