Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT - Strange things going on

ACT - Strange things going on

On the 3-6-10 ACT deleted over 10,000 contacts! Thanks to the help recieved here I reinstalled to a previous copy.

Today - I have a user name called student. The username is still the same but today the contact name has changed to sandy and it wont let me change it back. My work mate has also said that it has crash on his machine twice in 20 mins. Normally it does crash on his machine a few times a day but that is very close together. 

Does anyone know what is going on??? 

Silver Contributor

Re: ACT - Strange things going on

Log into the database as student, choose lookup, my record. change the name here.

OR, Lookup, Advanced, Users select the wrong name from the contact list, double click and change.

THis happens when someone forgets or doesn't know that all users of hte database have a record in the database and they change the info to a client name.

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Hi, Thank you for the reply. However this has not worked. Some how it has linked to a compeletely different company and that is why the name is now Sandy. If I don't want to change my customers name in ACT. There is still a contact there for my company with contact name student so Im not sure why it has linked it to another name.

My main concern is why all these big things are happy to my account after 5 years of being ok. 

Copper Contributor

Tiffany - what Jon said is correct. There is a contact record, called the My Record, linked to every user in your database. Frequently we have clients that eidt this contact record and change it to reflect a customer record. What I would suggest is log in as Student, then select Lookup |My Record. Then, create a duplicate contact, copying ALL fields. Now, make sure you are still on Student's My Record contact, change the contact information back to the user details (company, contact, phone, email, etc.) and you should be all set. You may need to re-link the new customer record to the correct Company record. 

This issue always stems from a user changing the contact record, usually their own, thinking that they don't need their own contact information in the database. This is something we always stress in training...

Hope that helps -  

Stacy Roach
Swiftpage Gold Drip Marketing Certified Consultant
San Francisco Bay Area

www.po3inc.com
Email Stacy