Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT Standard automatic backups - how do I stop them?

ACT Standard automatic backups - how do I stop them?

Have inherited the duties of looking after ACT

ACT! by Sage 2008 (10.0) Version 10.0.0.237, Hotfix 1 (on Windows Server 2003)

Cant find anywhere to start, let alone stop, automatic backups that are clogging up my c: drive on the server (just moved 50GB of ACT backups out!!).

Here is an example filename... Dealer_Broker_Contacts_20071206060005.zip (from last year obviously).

I can find instructions for ACT premium, but the menu options seem to be non-existent in standard.

For now, I am using a simple batch file to move the backups nightly to our SAN, and deleting old ones, but thats just a yukky kludge.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT Standard automatic backups - how do I stop them?

Are you sure it's not the Premium version? The standard version had no way to do this... so it's either a Premium version, or it's some other backup program.

In Premium, it's - Tools | ACT! Scheduler.

You should also update to 10.02 or 10.03 - this added to Premium the ability to the scheduler to just keep the last x backups and not just keep adding them till the drive is full. 10.02 added some workarounds for a Microsoft bug that made it much more stable.

You can download the current patch from http://www.act.com/support/updates/index.cfm

Thankyou.

That option definitley does not exist in my Tools menu in ACT.

I will look through our other systems to see what might be backing up the databases, though I overhauled Backup Exec the other day, and there was only our tape and offsite backups in there...

Platinum Elite Contributor

tonyhughes wrote:

Thankyou.

That option definitley does not exist in my Tools menu in ACT.

I will look through our other systems to see what might be backing up the databases, though I overhauled Backup Exec the other day, and there was only our tape and offsite backups in there...

If you can't find it, you might look inAdministrative Tools | Task Scheduler, or (as you know the time it runs fro the times on the ZIP files), look in the Event log for something.

Most backup programs won't properly backup the ADF file unless it stops the SQL service first and restarts it after... so you'll want to ensure you are doing proper backups after you've resolved the disk-space issue