Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT! Standard 11.1 Windows Update (CA)... NOT WORKING!!!

ACT! Standard 11.1 Windows Update (CA)... NOT WORKING!!!

Hello all of you fellow Act! users (and Sage moderators?),

One of my clients has a very small network. It is composed of one Vista workstation hosting an ACT! 2009 DB and another workstation accessing the Shared DB remotely. The licenses are for ACT! 2009 (v11.0, not Web, not Premium.. just plain old ACT!) and I would like to update to 11.1 and then apply the HotFix 4 patch. The "ABOUT" dialog says we are using the Canada English localized version.

I went to the Download section of the ACT! Web Profile to download the updates. I chose "ACT! by Sage", "2009 (11.x)" and finally "Canada". From there, I could download the "Latest Updates" and the "Hotfixes". The downloaded files are ACT1110StandCAUpdate.exe (MD5:e469c67ef7c29de4058a2158e76e4728) and ACT1110HotFix.exe (MD5:3eaf5f7a6f473c1a2d3015a8eac69336).

I first tried to apply the 11.1 update. To my surprise, after the installer decompressed the update files, I was prompted to uninstall the current 11.0 version. I thought that would be one way Sage decided to go about the upgrade so I said yes. After the uninstallation of 11.0, the Updater just exited without any message whatsoever.

That is when my heartbeat began to raise. I waited 5 minutes and then when I realized that ACT! was uninstalled and that I didn't have my backup copy of the 11.0 installer (silly me!), I relaunched the Updater. Now, I was told the "current version of ACT!" was not compatible with the Updater (gawd!).

I am not kidding. I was not told that BEFORE I was asked to uninstall 11.0, I was told AFTER 11.0 was uninstalled. I will leave to the Sage programmers (engineers????) as an exercise what should have been done (hints: QA, Tests, forethought, ... QA... QA...).

Now... I could put my hands on my backup copy of the 11.0 installer, so I could reinstall without having to reconfigure anything.

THE QUESTION: Where are the updates for the 11.0 Canada English version? When I go to Tools/Update, ACT! says "You have the latest version available". No, I don't.

Thanks for helping a fellow user (or if Sage is actually monitoring the forum, thanks for helping a customer).

Pascal Durocher, ing. jr.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT! Standard 11.1 Windows Update (CA)... NOT WORKING!!!

Hello Pascal,

Welcome to the ACT! Online Community. Have you reinstalled ACT! 2009 and, if so, what is the version/build under Help/About ACT!?

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Hi there,

Yes, I have found the installer (ACTS2009_ES_Act2009.exe) so I was able to reinstall without much fuss.

The About Dialog box says I have "ACT! by Sage 2009 (11.0) Version 11.1.183.0, English (Canada)".

Thanks,

Pascal

**bump**

pascald wrote:

The About Dialog box says I have "ACT! by Sage 2009 (11.0) Version 11.1.183.0, English (Canada)".

You're already on 11.1

I see. 11.0 is the marketing version number and the number between parentheses is the real-world version number.

Maybe the article about applying the Service Pack 1 should be updated: http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2364...

For example, in the title of the article, it is written: "How to Download and Apply the ACT! by Sage 2009 (11.1) Service Pack"

Notice the version number being between parentheses.

In the body of the article, a screenshot is shown to let people know how to tell what version number is currently installed. Because that information is shown at the top, it leads to people that this should be the version BEFORE applying the Service Pack 1.

And because the title says (11.1) and the screenshot says (11.0), this leads to believe that if the version shown in the dialog box is (11.0) that it is not (11.1).

What should be done is show in the dialog box something completely nuts like "(11.0 w/SP1, HotFix4)". I know... crazy.

Thanks for answering!