Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT Speed Issue

ACT Speed Issue

I have a customer with ACT 2009 running on 3 newer workstations (all dual core w/=>1GB ram) and SMall Business Server 2003.  The server has a single dual core XEON processor, 2GB ECC memory, hardware mirrored Seagate Enterprise SATA2 drives.  The customer complains he starts ACT as the first and only program and it is slow.  Then an hour later he calls be back to say it has speed up.  I do not know what the server's memory usage is (no remote access).  Anyone believe from expierence that upping the memory will help?

Thanks,

John

Bronze Elite Contributor

Re: ACT Speed Issue

Antivirus software? Try disabling the AV software either via it's own interface if it will allow it or in services.msc. Test.

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog

Thanks, I will be able to test that next Wednesday.
Bronze Super Contributor

2gb RAM on an SBS 2003 server is pretty much like trying to run Windows XP with 512mb RAM on your notebook/desktop.

It has SQL instance for Sharepoint, along with the web site for it, Exchange server, possibly WSUS.  The  client has likely installed some kind of centralized anti-virus solution along with anti-spam for Exchange etc.

Depending upon when the  client is opening the Act! application, the size of the database, how many other people are logging in, etc., this can all affect performance.

More RAM is cheap and likely offers biggest bang for the buck.