Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT Scheduler suddenly doesn't work

ACT Scheduler suddenly doesn't work

Hi...first post here. I am a long term individual user of ACT (going back to DOS days). I am currently running ACT 2010 on my own laptop (non enterprise version) and integrate with Outlook 2003.

I have been using this version with no problems for the past 4 months but now all of a sudden and for reasons I cannot comprehend, Act Scheduler is not working. There is a permanent red and white X by the scheduler icon in the application icon menu at the lower right hand side of my computer. Whenever I am accepting a meeting request through Outlook, when the ACT Schedule Activity box automatically opens up, I get a fatal error saying somehing like some component of the .net framework has tried to access memory that is corrupt, and I end up having to close ACT and Outlook and restart everything.

I am NOT a superuser by any means and I an not an IT guy, can anyone explain what the cause of this problem might be and how to fix it/

many thanks

Patrick

Re: ACT Scheduler suddenly doesn't work

An additional piece of info I just discovered is that the file 'Scheduler_File.xml' is missing from my system - the only two files in the Act For Windows 12 folder are: RegistrationData.xml and a ScheduledItems file

I'm very confused - please help

Platinum Super Contributor

Hello Patrick18960,

Welcome to the Act! Online Community!

There may be some confusion as to what is happening on your computer, so you'll need to verify some things.

On the System Tray - there can be an icon for the Act! Scheduler (a gold faced clock) and an icon for the Act! Outlook history service (white envelope with red circle/white x).  These icons function independently of one other.

For the Act! Scheduler, if it is not running - it will have a Red X on the clock face.  You can double click on the icon to open the Scheduler interface screen.  Try to schedule a task for the scheduler (ex: backup your database) and see if it is successful.  It should then create the 'Scheduler_file.xml' file.

For the Act! Outlook History icon, double click on it and check the tab for 'Not Attached Messages'.  These are emails that failed to attach to the Act! database (most common cause is contact not found), you can remove the emails from the list and the icon will disappear.  It only appears when there are emails in the 'Not Attached Messages' tab.

For the error attempting to Schedule an activity (not related to the Act! Scheduler), are you able to create activities directly through the Act! program?

Greg Martin
Sage

Greg - thanks for the reply.....thank you for explaining the difference between the icons (that makes sense) . However I just tried backing up and db and there is still no record in the Act Scheduler.

here is a photo of the error I am getting: This occurs everytime I accept a meeting request in Outlook. At that time ACT tries to open a event box and this pops up leavinmg me with a completely locked up system and no way to get back to either ACT or OUTLOOK without rebooting

Platinum Super Contributor

This seems to be a .Net 2.0 issue, but that could be misleading as the 'Attempt to read/write protected memory' message can come from several areas.  Here is an article that deals with 'attempt to read/write protected memory' messages due to Act!/Outlook integration:  KB Article 24256

If this does not resolve the issue, can you include the operating system of your computer?

Greg Martin
Sage

Greg - hi....my laptop is running XP professional version 2002 SP3