Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT! Scheduler/service error

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

ACT! Scheduler/service error

Running ACT! Premium 9.0.

Our server ran out of disk space over the holiday break because of the backups (cleanup script failed).  Scheduler was throwing errors that it couldn't back up.  Once we returned to the office, space was made available.  Unfortunately, it seems the lack of space broke something in the process.  I've been looking around, but could not find any solutions.

When you try and open scheduler, you get an error 'ACT! Scheduler error. Error occurred while loading server config file. Unexpected end of file while parsing Name has occurred.  Line 285, position 45. Contact administrator for assistance.'

The service is stopped, but won't start because it has no work to do.

Any ideas?  What config file is the error refering to because I don't see any that contains that many lines.  I'd restore that file from a backup as long as a I know it is static. 

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author DigitalFool
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT! Scheduler/service error

ACT! stores the scheduled tasks in an XML file whose location is in the Windows registry under:
HKLM\System\Current Control Set\Services\ACT! Scheduler\Database\Scheduler_Config_File

I think it's called - SCHEDULER_FILE.XML. The location can change depending on the OS and ACT! version

In one case I saw, the path was missing from the registry and the file itself was bad (after I fixed the path, it still complained).

I replaced SCHEDULER_FILE.XML with an old copy, deleted all the tasks and created the tasks I needed in the UI

Hope that helps.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author DigitalFool
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

ACT! stores the scheduled tasks in an XML file whose location is in the Windows registry under:
HKLM\System\Current Control Set\Services\ACT! Scheduler\Database\Scheduler_Config_File

I think it's called - SCHEDULER_FILE.XML. The location can change depending on the OS and ACT! version

In one case I saw, the path was missing from the registry and the file itself was bad (after I fixed the path, it still complained).

I replaced SCHEDULER_FILE.XML with an old copy, deleted all the tasks and created the tasks I needed in the UI

Hope that helps.

That is what I was looking for!  The file was incomplete, odd that it was corrupted.  ACT! must repopulate that file each time the service runs maybe thus, without space, it couldn't write the entire contents.

Nonetheless, restored the file and all is well.

Thanks for the help Mike.  Happy New Year!

It does update each task with the LastExecTime and if it was Completed or Failed.

So, obviously couldn't write the file with the update

When trying to create any scheduler task, I get the following error:

"Error occured while saving server config file.  Ilegal characters in path"

I reviewed the information realted to the SCHEDULE_FILE.xml, but no file exists on the server anywhere. I'm guessing it is nto getting created at all.

Anyone have addtional informatino on this?

Thank you in advance,

Rocky

Astute Commentator

[ Edited ]

Many thanks for this. This fix for the scheduler problem is still working in 2017!! Luckily I had a system image that I could restore a copy of this file from last month, which still had all my current scheduled tasks.

I also had to restore the scheduler log file which was also corrupted.

Cheers!