Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT Scheduler not completing backup tasks

ACT Scheduler not completing backup tasks

[ Edited ]

I am a new user and have ACT! 2009 installed on my local drive as I am the only one in my company using it.  I want to use the Scheduler to back up my database to the network drive at the end of each day.  So far the first two daily attempts have been unsuccessful.  When I check the task log for both days I see the following:

Result: Task Not Completed
Errors: Failed to log into the database. Could not find a part of the path [path and filename]

However, I am able to manually back up using the identical path and filename.  What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

Message Edited by JColby on 01-16-2009 07:09 AM
Message Edited by JColby on 01-16-2009 07:10 AM

Re: ACT Scheduler not completing backup tasks

Try changing the logon account for ACT! Scheduler service from Local System to an administrator account.

[ Edited ]

Thanks David, but I don't know how to do that.  I believe my account is the Administrator account since I have the only machine with ACT! installed and it is not installed on the server (which is why I want to do daily backups). 

Manual backups continue to work fine, and still no success with the Scheduler.

Message Edited by JColby on 01-21-2009 10:10 AM
Message Edited by JColby on 01-21-2009 10:10 AM

Follow the steps below:

- Go to the Start menu and select Run.

- Type services.msc and click Ok.

- Locate ACT! Scheduler in the list, right click it and select Properties.

- Click Logon tab and enable 'this account'.

- Enter in an local administrator's user name and password and click ok.

- Test ACT! Scheduler.

[ Edited ]

I am trying that but have never needed a username and password before and don't know what they are.  The person who installed the software on my system doesn't seem to know either.  So...I may be stuck remembering to do a manual backup every day?  This is confusing.

Update: I figured out how to set my password.  However my username and password are not being accepted in the area you suggested.  So I'm at a loss as to how to proceed.

Message Edited by JColby on 01-21-2009 11:00 AM

Still having no luck with the above solution.  When entering my username and password where suggested, I just get the same error message stating that the logon name and password are invalid (even though they are what I now use to logon to the database).

The new error message in my ACT Scheduler task log is:

Result: Task Not Completed
Errors: Invalid logon or password

So, I continue to make daily manual backups, but I am very frustrated that the ACT! Scheduler doesn't work.  Can anyone help?  Thanks.

Bumping in case anyone else has any suggestions for getting this to work.  I am still performing manual backups since the Scheduler will not work.

From your post on another thread, it sounds like you're adding your database administrator user name and password.  You need to add the Windows adminstrator user name and password.

Hi,

I'm having the same problem with 2008 Premium. I have set the service's logon to the domain administrator, using the ACT! administrator account for the backup task, but I still receive the error "Errors: Failed to log into the database. Error accessing or processing a PAD file - F:\[filename].pad".

And yes running a manual backup to the same location works fine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Leibtek

Bronze Elite Contributor

Reference with a URL not a mapped drive. 

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog