Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT Sage 2010 will not launch - is non responsive

ACT Sage 2010 will not launch - is non responsive

Hello everyone,

As stated in the title I'm working with Act 2010 for a remote database on a Windows XP machine. Let me break down exactly what had happened. 

1) received error when syncing 

Synchronization has failed. Value of '-56' is not valid for 'Maximum'. 'Maximum' must be greater than or equal to 0.

Parameter name: Maximum Contact your administrator for assistance.

2) Followed the knowledge base article. First attempted to delete my preferences file - no change. Second step to the knowledge base article is to rebuild the SQL Server 2005. I did, had to do it twice but it's fully connected and I've checked it.

Result - ACT will not open in any way. I've selected the icon, the start button, windows explorer etc. I tried to launch it in any and every way possible but it will not open or launch. there is no error, nothing. I've restarted my computer (multiple times).

3) So I completely uninstalled and reinstalled ACT. No change. Still unresponsive. 

4) Attempted to delete the preferences file again - no change.

5) Also tried rebuilding, reindexing etc the database. No change.

Anyone have any further suggestions? I've searched and searched for an answer. 

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: ACT Sage 2010 will not launch - is non responsive

Hello Sterning,

Welcome to the Sage ACT! Online Community!

You mentioned no error message, have you checked the Windows Event Viewer for errors?

Things to try:

- Disable anti-virus software > attempt to open

- Open demo database: attempt to open the demo database by double-clicking on the ACT2010Demo.PAD file, default location is: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\ACT\ACT for Windows 12\Databases

Greg Martin
Sage

HI Greg,

Thanks for your response. I haven't checked the Windows Event Viewer. However I did disable all antivirus and attempt a log in and also tried to open the demo database and both resulted in the same thing. No improvement. 

Meg

Definitely check the Event Viewer - there may be an issue with .NET Framework.

After attempting to open ACT!, does the process actsage.exe appear in the Task Manager / Processes tab?

I realize you have uninstalled/reinstalled, but you may want to go ahead and try that again. Don't touch SQL Server, just ACT! itself.
Greg Martin
Sage

Hi Greg, 

I'll check the Event Viewer. Is there anything specific that I'm looking for?

Also, no ACT does not appear in the Task Manager or Processes. That's something I had checked a few times earlier.

I would look for any errors, but specifically are there any .NET errors.

Have you tried the reinstall?
Greg Martin
Sage