Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT'S Fatal Flaw Continues: Notes Go Into Wrong Contact

Astute Commentator

ACT'S Fatal Flaw Continues: Notes Go Into Wrong Contact

[ Edited ]

I first made ACT Aware of its FATAL FLAW of notes going into the wrong contact on 11/09/2010.

It has still not been fixed. Please click share below and share this post on Facebook and Twitter and everywhere as I am doing. Apparently, only bad publicity might work to get this problem solved.

When you post a note, it will sometime go into the wrong contacts data. This corrupts your database over time, causing huge errors in your work. I have talked to Tech Support several times and know that they know how to reproduce the error every time.

I have had enough of this flaw as I can show clear harm that has been done by this sneaky error that has never been addressed.

There has been no patch and no fix.

In the meantime, help to share this post about the fatal flaw all over the Internet by clicking on the share button.

Thank you.

poweruser

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT'S Fatal Flaw Continues: Notes Go Into Wrong Contact

Silver Contributor

Saving the record before entering the note. Should address this.

http://sage.lithium.com/t5/Sage-ACT/New-contact-created-but-NOTES-go-into-previous-contact-s-NOTES/t...

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

I have to say for a very large number of reasons Act 2011 has been a very large disappointment to me.  There are no patches for the problems that exist.  I even got a virus during an on line support session. 

Very disappointing. 

Bronze Contributor

[ Edited ]

So you do not list the problems only the one with notes and as another said if you save the contact before adding the notes this works correctly. There have been 5 updates to 2011 if you includes Service Packs and hotfixes so not sure what your issue is about in this case.

[Edit: inappropriate content edited]

Paul Buchtmann
pbuchtmann@ozemail.com.au Australia
Australia's First ACT Consultant (1989)

FREE Record History to change default to Call or To-Do for ACT! 2010-2012 versions. Custom versions also available.
Astute Commentator

[ Edited ]

NONE OF THE WORKAROUNDS POSTED WORKS every time. They may reduce the incidence of the problem occuring, but in a way that just makes it worse, as just when you think the database is no longer corrupted and quit watching as hard for it, a major mistake occurs and goes unnoticed.

This sometimes reproduces the error:

REPRODUCING ACT'S FATAL FLAW ERROR
Go into Groups
Right click, create lookup.

Create a new contact.

Type in a company name.

Then insert a note.
It goes into the wrong contact - at least sometimes.

This is not the only kind of event that creates the error. Creat a duplicate contact and create a new contact under other circumstances also do this.

Please, others try this a bunch of times and see if you get the error.

Thank you.

Poweruser

[Edit: invalid statement removed]

Platinum Elite Contributor

I'll start by saying it's working as designed. When you create a new contact by any means including duplicate contact, you're working on the local workstation until you do a save, either directly or by moving to another contact. In other words, that new contact record isn't in the database untill the save. When you add a note, especially using the big easy buttons it goes to the cantact that's logged as the current contact in the database. when you're adding contacts to the database you need to do a save before you do any other action.

Because the database is actually controlled by the SQL server, changes on the screen aren't saved until the ACT! program explicitely saves them to the database. I believe there is an addon utility that forces frequent saves, check at www.actaddons.com. The penilty to the autosave is an increase in network/server traffic.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Astute Commentator

When ACT was sold to me, I clearly remember being told that the data was automatically saved immediately, and that is why you did not have to keep saving your work as in the old Microsoft Word programs.

If ACT is working as designed, then it is designed to be FATALLY FLAWED.

It's hard to calculate the total monetary damages that this is causing me, but they are staggering in my mind, as in the past I did not keep track. But from now on I will. Others need to start looking for corruption in their databases.

Bronze Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Roy,

to be honest, I thought you might be wrong about that, so I went looking in the ACT! help file to prove you wrong. Mostly because I've been told the same as 'poweruser', that is, when you press TAB that field contact record is saved.

I should have known better than to doubt you (insert smileyface with egg on face).

As the attached screen shot shows, it is indeed the case that the contact record is automatically saved when you move to another record or view.

To Sage Product Development,

This may be working as designed. But it aint' working as expected. If users go to add a note/history/document/activity, there is a reasonable expectation that the new 'item' will be saved with the contact displayed onscreen. Perhaps if the action of adding a note/history/document/activity did a 'save contact' prior to attaching? Then it would be working both as designed and as expected.

Astute Commentator

Dear Ben Hamilton, thank you. You have come up with a great solution. I hope ACT! will follow up on your suggestion. Again, many thanks to you. Let me now of anyway to help get ACT! to make the software work as expected.