Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT RDB Clients, change in network will alter out facing IP adress that those clients are pointed to

Copper Contributor

ACT RDB Clients, change in network will alter out facing IP adress that those clients are pointed to

I have about 30 RDB clients that are port forwarded to a sync service that is running on a different machine than our central ACT DB.  There are some new network changes that are going to alter the IP address where these clients are currently pointed to.  Am I able to edit the pad file and point it to this new IP address so that I don't have to cut new databases?  Since I am unable to test this currently at work (I would have to make firewall exceptions, cut DB, and jump through hoops to route the traffic internally) I decided to post it here to start.

Thanks in advance!

ACT 2010 Core Certified
Platinum Super Contributor

Re: ACT RDB Clients, change in network will alter out facing IP adress that those clients are pointed to

Since you are working with Remote databases, the pad file will still be correct (it points to the files on the local machine).  For the Sync to find the new IP address, you will need to update the Tools > Synchronization Panel > Manage Connection Information.  Changing the existing IP address to the new one.  This will need to be done on each remote.

Note: It is always a good idea to ensure everyone syncs just before you make your network update.  Then if the remote sync is broken there will be no loss of data (or need to import old databases into the new remotes) should you need to recreate remotes.

As a reference with a screen shot, view this article: KB Article 17536

Greg Martin
Sage
Bronze Super Contributor

Re: ACT RDB Clients, change in network will alter out facing IP adress that those clients are pointed to

Yup, you'll need to change it on each remote.

If there is ever a chance that this may change again, then you'd be well served by configuring an A Record on your domain name like "sync.domainname.com" that points to the external IP.

This then means that you change each machine to point to the domain name "sync.domainname.com" instead of the IP address. In the future it then means that if the IP changes, you don't need to visit each machine. A single edit to the A record on the domain name (DNS records) and the job is done. Big time saver that I've found very useful.