Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT Quote tool gives: "Attempted to read or write protected memory" error.

ACT Quote tool gives: "Attempted to read or write protected memory" error.

After updating Windows Vista (Business Edition) to service pack 1, I have begun to receive this message with ACT!.  It happens as soon as I click the Quote button and the result is a crash back to the ACT! main window.  There are no residual effects that I have seen.  It happens whether I click quote after entering Opportunity data, or after saving the opportuity data and relaunching the Opportunity window.

No other problems are apparent.  PST scan produces no errors.  No Office 2007 patches have been applied since the problem, so it appears to be realted to the file system, OLE, or the way ACT tries to launch Excel.  I've a Sony Vaio Laptop/Dual Core 1.8 GHz, Windows Vista with Aero turned off, and Office 2007

Re: ACT Quote tool gives: "Attempted to read or write protected memory" error.

HI, I'm having the same error, but I'm using Win Vista Home Basic.

When press the button to generate a quote it appears the same message.

Hope someone can assist us on it.

Rgds,

Pedro

[ Edited ]

More data on this.  When I experience this failure, and then later in the day quit ACT!, it tells me I have some files still open and do I want to save them.  If I say YES, it stores them in the ACTDataDir/Documents folder with the name DOCUMENT?  where ? is a number.  When I browse to that directory and open the Word file, it is my Quote document, but the Excel lnks are not there. In other words, somehow, now, Word, launched by ACT, cannot embed the Excel spreadsheet successfully, and a copy of Word is left hanging until I close Excel.

Hope this helps.

Message Edited by TJude on 06-10-2008 07:12 PM

This excel issue is exactly the same what is happening with my ACT! software.

And is doing the same with e-mail .. it doesn't embed but when I'll close Act! it asks if I'd like to save the generated file...

With the quotes, the excel is not showing the products, prices, quantities, etc ...

I need all this working !!

Anyone pls assist us on it !!

Pedro

Platinum Elite Contributor

Normally that error means the .Net Framework has been damaged... but you can't reinstall .Net on Vista without reinstalling the OS.

Can you try this 

1. Click on the Start menu, choose All Programs, then Accessories, then right-click on the Command Prompt item and select Run as administrator
  2. Click Continue to authorize opening a command prompt with administrative privileges
  3. Run this command in the cmd prompt: sfc /scannow
  4. The cmd prompt should list text stating "Beginning system scan. This process will take some time."
  5. Wait for the scan to complete (this can take several minutes so be patient)
  6. When the scan completes, the SFC tool will indicate whether or not it found any integrity violations and offer you the chance to fix any that are found

Hi Mike;

So here is what I've done.  I found the update patch and the hotfix for the update patch.  I applied the first, restarted my system, re-formulated the database and verified that act worked.  Then I applied the Hotfix and did the same sequence again - it all worked - even the quote tool.

However, now Word and Excel have problems.  I get an installer message from word and an STDOLE32.TLD message from the latter.  Having read that this was likely, I went to the 'Programs and Features' menu and tried to repair both, and absolutely nothing happened, and I still have the probelm.  So then I so to reapply "Office 2007 SP1", and am now informed that "The detection failed, this can be due to a corrupted installation database".  Great.  Went back to this forum to see your new post and tried the scannow idea, but WRP didn't find any integrity violations.

What has ACT done to my system AGAIN?

I guess these questions are rhetorical.  I'll need to restore back to before I installed the ACT patches and quote some other way.  I just hope my posts saves some other poor trapped soul some steps and some wasted time.

I also want to say thanks.  You've been posting here for several years and have been stridently supportive in the face of overwhelming incompetence.  I really appreciate it and know that if I read a post of yours and it has an answer, that answer will ususally work, and if it says 'try this' then there is no solution.

TJude wrote:

Hi Mike;

However, now Word and Excel have problems.  I get an installer message from word and an STDOLE32.TLD message from the latter.  Having read that this was likely, I went to the 'Programs and Features' menu and tried to repair both, and absolutely nothing happened, and I still have the probelm.  So then I so to reapply "Office 2007 SP1", and am now informed that "The detection failed, this can be due to a corrupted installation database".  Great.  Went back to this forum to see your new post and tried the scannow idea, but WRP didn't find any integrity violations.

What's the Word/Excel error message?

What has ACT done to my system AGAIN?

Actually, it's Microsoft, not ACT! - the original issue (and the fix) are MS problems. It sounds like the installer issue is also a MS quirk.

I guess these questions are rhetorical.  I'll need to restore back to before I installed the ACT patches and quote some other way.  I just hope my posts saves some other poor trapped soul some steps and some wasted time.

Probably better to post the Office error and solve that and have it all working

I also want to say thanks.  You've been posting here for several years and have been stridently supportive in the face of overwhelming incompetence.  I really appreciate it and know that if I read a post of yours and it has an answer, that answer will ususally work, and if it says 'try this' then there is no solution.

No, just that they may be a number of possibilities to fix the problem or that I don't know the solution ... which means it's most likely something other than ACT! causing the problem and we need to work out what.

Mike asks:  What's the Word/Excel error message?

Excel gives me an stdole32.tld box with no further info.  When I click it away, all seems to work normally.  Word says it's reinstalling, which promply concludes and I'm in Word.  Again, everything seems to work at this point.

Mike says:   Actually, it's Microsoft, not ACT! - the original issue (and the fix) are MS problems. It sounds like the installer issue is also a MS quirk.

I doubt that.  I think it's an issue related to ACT now knowing if the Office 2007 SP1 patch was applied or not, or not bothering to check.   I also think coding in non-standard ways leads to errors in most exception situations.  Why else would it be that I have been having non-stop ACT problems for a decade, yet other software tools I use that integrate with Office usually just work without problems?

I agree that Office now has a problem, but it didn't before I installed these patches.

Mike says: Probably better to post the Office error and solve that and have it all working.

You sure are a trooper...

TJude wrote:

Mike asks:  What's the Word/Excel error message?

Have a look in the Windows Event Log... see if there are better error messages there after you start Word or Excel

Mike says:   Actually, it's Microsoft, not ACT! - the original issue (and the fix) are MS problems. It sounds like the installer issue is also a MS quirk.

I doubt that.  I think it's an issue related to ACT now knowing if the Office 2007 SP1 patch was applied or not, or not bothering to check.   I also think coding in non-standard ways leads to errors in most exception situations.  Why else would it be that I have been having non-stop ACT problems for a decade, yet other software tools I use that integrate with Office usually just work without problems?

ACT! doesn't care about Office SP1. I don't think you would have many apps that connect to Office in the way that ACT! does

I agree that Office now has a problem, but it didn't before I installed these patches.

The .Net Framework did... I thought the Office issues came after doing the MS repair for that.

Mike says: Probably better to post the Office error and solve that and have it all working.

Did you try the MS fix for Office?