Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT Pro won't backup

ACT Pro won't backup

I'm running ACT Pro 18.1.103.0 on Win 7. I just reinstalled on a new hard drive and it won't backup. I keep getting an access denied error. 

I read some of the posts on here and the Share Database is checked. I tried going into the Layout folder and changing the permission and it won't let me change the ones for Everyone or Owner PC(users).  These two don't have checks for Full control, modify or write and they won't allow me to change them. 

Is there anything else I can do . . . I need the backup option. 

Administrator

Re: ACT Pro won't backup

Hi Lee,

Have you tried backing up to another location? Try your desktop.

Please check the solutions in the following knowledgebase articles for more suggestions:
http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/38258
http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13683

If you can't change the folder security permissions for Everyone, I would suggest speaking with your system administrator to make this change for you.

I tried everything that was posted on the site and I can't get into any of the files - access denied always comes up.  I am the only person on the computer and I am the administrator.  In doing all of this I think I know what the problem is but don't know how to fix it.  I  am attaching copies of the files I was supposed to go into but couldn't make any changes.  As you can see . in the Basic Company Layout-800x600  under Location it says Owner-PCFebruary272017 database file/        The February272017 is the name of the database file I am trying to save.  I have no idea how it got into this but it is and I'm sure it's not supposed to be there.    It also shows up in my Network file - and it shouldn't be there.  

I am attaching snippit files that I took of these files so you can see what I'm talking about.  Somehow the database files got into the names of these files.  

If I knew how to get that out, I'm sure everything would be fine.  

Administrator

Hi Lee,

The reason it's showing in your Network area is because the database will have been shared from inside the software at one point. If nobody else is connecting to the database this can be unshared by clicking on File > Open/Share Database, and clicking the Unshare button next to the database name. I don't think this is causing your backup issue.

I'm not sure what you're referring to when you say "I can't get into any of the files - access denied always comes up".

You can find a Microsoft article on changing folder permissions here: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc754344(v=ws.11).aspx

I can only see one screenshot of the Network area attached to your post. If you need to attach more than one image to a post, click the Photos button in the post editor toolbar.

This isn't going to be able to help other people with this problem, but I have finally gotten it resolved.  I called in a tech though as I couldn't get into the files to make the changes - because I just don't know enough about the workings of a computer. 

The problem was coming from a permission problem and basically it wouldn't allow me to make the changes and that was because it was checked as "Read Only".  Once that was unchecked, the changes were made and it is working just as it should now. 

Thanks for your help.  

Highlighted
Administrator

You're welcome.
Glad to hear you're back up and running.