Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT Pro 2013 and Outlook 2010 - Can't send Email from within Act!: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

ACT Pro 2013 and Outlook 2010 - Can't send Email from within Act!: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Upgraded Outlook 2007 to Outlook 2010 after using Act 2013 Pro for awhile and tech support said that Act! has to be the last thing installed after Outlook in order for the Address Book to work and emails to be sent right from Act.  Reinstalled Act after upgrading to Outlook 2010 and got error message above: Object reference not set to an nstance of an object.

Called Act! technical support and the only solution they said was to start Outlook and Run As Administrator, as well as, Act 2013 which was already running as admin. Did this and Instant Search does not work anymore if you run as administrator but cleared up the problem.  But that was not good. I use Instant Search all the time.

Deselected Run As Administrator on BOTH Act! Pro 2013 and Outlook 2010 and works like a charm! Instant search works, as well as, emailing and merging templates right from within Act!.  HOPE THIS HELPS SOMEONE... took me a long time to figure it out after tech support did not know the answer. Best wishes!

Re: ACT Pro 2013 and Outlook 2010 - Can't send Email from within Act!: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Realjimsmith,

Welcome to the Act! Community Forum!

Thanks for the notice, and I'm sorry that you feel support didn't answer your question to your satisfaction.  Based off of what you wrote, only, it appears to me that they actually did answer the question, so I'd like to explain (In short) what happened.

Just like when they suggested you run Outlook as Administrator so Act! and Outlook can communicate, the same goes for the Act! search services that run in the background.  They run with basic system rights, and when you run Act! with elevated rights it won't connect to the search services.  The biggest suggestion I can give anyone who runs into problems like these is to disable UAC on your system.  This allows all programs to run on an elevated level, and will stop this problem from happening with other programs, and future versions of Act! and Outlook.  This is one of the first steps in Act! KB Articles that discuss issues communicating with all versions of Outlook.  Running as Administrator is a function to bypass UAC on a launch-by-launch basis.

Windows Vista: http://kb.swiftpage.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/20220/kw/disable%20UAC

Windows 7 (Steps similar to Windows 8): http://kb.swiftpage.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/25665/kw/disable%20UAC

Billy Clark
Swiftpage
Act! Knowledgebase: http://kb.act.com

Re: ACT Pro 2013 and Outlook 2010 - Can't send Email from within Act!: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Thanks Billy! UAC was disabled all the time and yes they did answer the issues, just wanted others to know that this solution prevents Instant Search in Outlook 2010 to function in Run As Admin level. Great follow-up! J

I'm going to try to update our Knowledgebase to make sure that this is clear as well.  Anything we can do to get information out is helpful to you guys.  Thanks for the post.  It's always good to see people actively contributing!  Smiley Happy

Billy Clark
Swiftpage
Act! Knowledgebase: http://kb.act.com
Tuned Listener

This worked for me too. Just bought a new PC with Win 7 . I was running XP previously . Transferred my licence of Office 2007 and ACT! 2011 to the new PC . Installed ACT! a few days ago and haven't been able to send emails through ACT! . I tried all the knowledge base suggestions and just came across this post - Unclicked Run as Administrator and it works....Thanks !