Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT! Pro 2012 is not catching duplicates

Copper Contributor

ACT! Pro 2012 is not catching duplicates

I have my preferences settings to "enable duplicate checking the database" and its set to "match contact records on" PHONE, then CONTACT then COMPANY under "record type" fo CONTACT.

I am manually entering records that are intentionally dupes to make sure this function will have my back when I err by manually entering duplicates with my new database.

WHAT DID I MISS? It's allowing me to save multiple entries that have identical phones, contacts and company names.

Copper Contributor

Re: ACT! Pro 2012 is not catching duplicates

OK - I have found the way ACT! looks for duplicates when manually entering new contacts/companies:

when it asks, in prefs, for "Match contact records on:"  "XXXXX"   then on "XXXXX" then on "XXXXX", I was thinking it would look for ANY of the fields I selected to consider an entry a duplicate. But it must satisfy, in sequence, the conditions I select.

I will just select one field  (maybe phone or company) and not select the remaining two in order to catch a dupe I entered.

Sorry for the confusion.

Platinum Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hello mrootes,
This is correct. When selecting multiple fields for duplicate checking, the contacts must match on all fields you have selected, not just one or two.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Contributor

Greg,

Thanks for the confirmation!

On another note, I was wondering why the ACT! icons do not always appear in Outlook. I do not sync my Act contacts or my Act calendar - is that why?

Thanks!

Platinum Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]

If you have not added your ACT! address book to Outlook, then the icons will not appear. You can add the address book through ACT! by going to Tools > Preferences > Email & Outlook Sync tab > Email Setup or through Tools > Account Settings > Address Books tab in Outlook. A restart of Outlook will be required.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Contributor

Thanks again - I have switched to ACT last week after using GOldmine for the prior 12 years or so. Big learning curve.

Hey, while I have you, one last question: I have added several custom fields to my layout and they work great. But is it possible to have a field that will show on my contact screen what my next pending activity is for that contact? I know I can select the ACTIVITY tab to see it, but at a glance would be helpful.

Thanks Again!

Skilled Commentator

Hi there! I asked this very same question when I upgraded to Act about a month ago. The answer is, Act won't let you create a field to display an activity, however there are several addons that you can buy that will do that. I can't remember off the top of my head what they are, but I know they exist. 

Copper Contributor

Thanks Renee!