Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT Pro 2012 default From email address

ACT Pro 2012 default From email address

Having recently switched from a hosted Cloud environment to our new in-house WinServer 2008 r2 and also with Exchange/Outlook, one of the changes has been the addtion of a second email address choice in the Outlook From line. Before, there was only one.

Using the typical ACT/Word/Outlook Mail Merge function, when step 3 of 6 is set on Current lookup, not Current contact, ACT does not allow for manual intervention and automatically starts emailing in Outlook. In my case, using the "wrong" From email address choice causing bounces.

How do I set the default email address in the Mail Merge function to use the choice I want? If it can't be set I need to know that too.

Bronze Super Contributor

Re: ACT Pro 2012 default From email address

[ Edited ]

The default email address is called E-mail. The other email address fields cannot be used for the mail merge operation.

Perhaps use the Edit|Swap menu option to swap the contents of your 2nd email with the default E-mail fields. Use this function with care!

HTH

David Shaw
Act! Certified Consultant since 2001
Office:    +44 (0)1483 714507
Mobile: +44 (0)7977 567 318
E-Mail:    dshaw@act4u.org 
Copper Elite Contributor

Hi there

When you send an email from outlook are you required to change the "from" email address everytime? This is generally only an option when more than one account/email address is added to outlook. One of these mail accounts will be set as your default email account in Outlook, and that will be the one that ACT uses when performing the merge. To my knowledge there is no way around that, other than making the correct default address in outlook. (anyone else want to jump in here?)

Usually you would only have the one exchange email address, unless you are also fielding ones from mailboxes like info@ or sales@ etc. Still, your proper email address (your name for example) would usually be set as the default account, which you shouldn't receive bounces from.

We may need a little more information to understand your situation better. Also, what version of ACT and Outlook are you currently running?

Cherie Buttsworth
ACT! Certified Consultant
Simply PC
cherie@simplypc.com.au

Thanks for your reply. Using ACT 2012 with Outlook 2010 and MS Office 2010. Our Outlook has two different From email addresses, one of which works correctly to send email and the other that doesn't.

When using the Write/Mail Merge function, ACT defaults to the wrong one. When sending to a Contact I can manually change it. However, when sending to a Lookup that option is not available.

The question is - can ACT dictate/control/assign the default From email address?

Your help will be appreciated.

Doug

Copper Elite Contributor

here is the workaround fix.

go to the old outlook email account  that ACT has hijacked and CHANGE the settings.  Put in your name and email in the USER INFORMATION area.   Do not change the login info at the bottom.  click NEXT,  put  your email in the Reply to.   FINISH.

Even though sends and mailmerge templates will appear to be going from the old email account, they actually deliver properly to recipients.  test first before relying on this to make sure it works in your environment.

Tamara Traylor
New Ideas Consulting Inc

Thanks for the reply. Fortunately, we recently fired our MSP and got a new one who solved the problem.

Doug