Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT Pro 2011SP1 is Flawed

Accepted Solution Solved
Tuned Listener
Accepted Solution

ACT Pro 2011SP1 is Flawed

Just downloaded ACTPro2011SP1. 

• Tried to install and I get a message, about insufficient disk space. 
  • Says it needs 309 mb of space. 
  • My computer has 118 GB of free space. 
  • After all this time I was beginning to think ACT 2011 was the Holy Grail of Sage.  Looks like the software is failing again, just like previous versions. 
  • Very frustrating. I thought Sage had a winner in 2011, I guess I was wrong. 
  • From my perspective, ACT should just work...period. 
  • I should not have to search these message boards or the Knowlegebase to find a "solution".  ACT should just work. 

Quality is a concept that seems to be out of fashion these days...I hope I am wrong about ACT2011.  Maybe Napkin Mike should go back to the drawing board. 

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author frankfurgiuele
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Silver Contributor

Re: ACT Pro 2011SP1 is Flawed

My memory is going to fail me if I try and tell you the exact history of this, and I can empathize with you as to why and if this should have happened. But.. here is what should fix it.

Find a folder at the root of C, like the ACT!2011 folder and duplicate it. Then run your install. apparently, the amount of free space is some multiple of something it shouldn't be. 

After the install has run, you can delete the duplicate file. The only reason for doing this is to change the amount of free space from something windows doesn't like temporatily.

Here is the KB Article

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author frankfurgiuele
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Silver Contributor

My memory is going to fail me if I try and tell you the exact history of this, and I can empathize with you as to why and if this should have happened. But.. here is what should fix it.

Find a folder at the root of C, like the ACT!2011 folder and duplicate it. Then run your install. apparently, the amount of free space is some multiple of something it shouldn't be. 

After the install has run, you can delete the duplicate file. The only reason for doing this is to change the amount of free space from something windows doesn't like temporatily.

Here is the KB Article

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Bronze Super Contributor

Yup, I believe it's an Installshield bug, not a Microsoft or Sage bug.

The issue is that the free space is a multiple of 4... i.e. 4mb free, 8mb free, etc.

you can create a file of whatever size you want from the command line

fsutil file createnew filename length

substibute filename with the name of a file i.e. temp.dat and subsitute length with the size of the file, in bytes.

more info here: http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/fsutil.mspx?mfr=true

Once you've run the installer, you can then delete the temp.dat file.

Flawed ? That does not even begin to describe my problems from simple DOWNLOAD of the upgrade file all the way to 3 days later trying to restore a database. I've NEVER seen SO MANY bugs and workaround's that are NOT easy to find within the tech notes or KB is here!!  I've been using ACT for years and EVERY SINGLE time (you would think I would have learned by now) I upgrade I end up pulling my hair out of my head!

Every error encountered so far HAS been a bug or known issue with workaround..buried REALLY deep in google searches. NOT IMPRESSED at all. I'm still having problems now with restoring my database (ACT 9.0.xxx  to 2011 pro) I expect MORE down time.  I moved to Windows 7 computer from XP and HAD to upgrade ..but believe me I DID try to get the old version up and running.

I'm CONTINUOUSLY annoyed and frustrated with ACT and each upgrade seems to get worse, NOT better! I'm giving it one more day and if I can't do this, I'm moving to another contact management program.

Platinum Super Contributor

Hello Klmedia,

Welcome to the ACT! Online Community!

Please click on this link to see your Private Notes.

Greg Martin
Sage
Tuned Listener

[ Edited ]

After trying the solution of creating a duplicate folder the SP1 install worked...B U T...I should not have to jump through hoops to install any new or upgraded software from Sage.  It should just work...period!   So Kudos to Sage for ACT 2011, and Shame on You Sage, for not engineering installation and upgrades to just work for the average user.  ACT 2011 is the best so far, but these occasional hiccups make users really upset, and tend to write poison posts on these blogs. 

My thanks go out to ALL the respondants who offered their suggestions for help.  Without these folks, ACT could be a bit of a pain to maintain.  Smiley Happy