06-20-2011 06:19 AM - edited 06-20-2011 06:38 AM
Ok, I've renamed the dependent file and it's still not working.
I also tried to rename the ACT for Windows 13 file as well and the computer wouldn't let me, even in administrative mode. It said the file is in use elsewhere. I think I will just uninstall and reinstall and see if that works.
*EDIT* I forgot to stop the ACT.Outlook.exe service before attempting to rename the ACT for Windows 13 file. I rebooted the computer and it's still giving me the same error. So now I have officially done all the renames recommended and have deleted the preferences. Nothing is working, so now I really will do the uninstall reinstall and let you know how it goes.
06-20-2011 07:07 AM
06-20-2011 07:12 AM
I'm confused, what application did I rename? I renamed a folder as per these instructions: http://community.act.com/t5/Sage-ACT-Premium/Resolution-of-the-dependency-failed-Type-quot-Act-UI/m-...
I also renamed the depedent xml file as you suggested. Those are the only things I renamed. I uninstalled and reinstalled and it's still giving me the same error.
06-20-2011 07:56 AM
Ok, so another update. I uninstalled ACT! again, then went to %appdata% and deleted the ACT! files in there. I figured these were the files causing all the problems. Then when I reinstalled, presto changeo, it worked again.
I have no idea why ACT! did this. It seems to be a widespread problem. My boss didn't do anything to his computer, just logged in one day and BAM it didn't work. Problems like this are why I tell everyone to run far far away from ACT.
06-20-2011 08:09 AM
06-20-2011 08:14 AM