Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT!Pro 2011 won't start

Re: ACT!Pro 2011 won't start

[ Edited ]

Ok, I've renamed the dependent file and it's still not working. 

I also tried to rename the ACT for Windows 13 file as well and the computer wouldn't let me, even in administrative mode. It said the file is in use elsewhere. I think I will just uninstall and reinstall and see if that works.

*EDIT* I forgot to stop the ACT.Outlook.exe service before attempting to rename the ACT for Windows 13 file. I rebooted the computer and it's still giving me the same error. So now I have officially done all the renames recommended and have deleted the preferences. Nothing is working, so now I really will do the uninstall reinstall and let you know how it goes.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Never try to rename an application ... it will get you into trouble.

Post back with the result after uninstall/reinstall

I'm confused, what application did I rename? I renamed a folder as per these instructions: http://community.act.com/t5/Sage-ACT-Premium/Resolution-of-the-dependency-failed-Type-quot-Act-UI/m-...

I also renamed the depedent xml file as you suggested. Those are the only things I renamed. I uninstalled and reinstalled and it's still giving me the same error. 

Ok, so another update. I uninstalled ACT! again, then went to %appdata% and deleted the ACT! files in there. I figured these were the files causing all the problems. Then when I reinstalled, presto changeo, it worked again.

I have no idea why ACT! did this. It seems to be a widespread problem. My boss didn't do anything to his computer, just logged in one day and BAM it didn't work. Problems like this are why I tell everyone to run far far away from ACT. 

Point taken, though I've still had to uninstall and reinstall ACT far more times than I have Windows.

It's usually the MS components (.Net and SQL) that cause most of the issues.