Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT Pro 2011 won't install as earlier version detected - bad uninstall of ACT 2009 v 11

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

ACT Pro 2011 won't install as earlier version detected - bad uninstall of ACT 2009 v 11

[ Edited ]

I had Sage ACT 2009 v 11 installed on my Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1 64-bit OS and uninstalled it using the Windows control panel uninstall program feature.  I also deleted what appeared to be some 'stray' ACT files.  Now, when I try to install Sage ACT! Pro 2011 (downloaded version which I forgot that I had) I get the following error message: An earlier version of Sage Act! has been detected.  To install Sage ACT! Pro 2011, uninstall your previous version and start this installation again.

ADDED AFTER POSTED:  After posting my dilemma, I found c:/program files(x86)/Act/Act for Windows which appears to contain a partial or defective installation of ACT! Pro 2011.  When I clicked the Act11.exe file I got the message "ACT has stopped working. Windows is checking for a solution to the problem."  There were other *.exe files, including one for Act9.exe - - same error message.

With nothing left to uninstall, I tried to reinstall my ACT 2009 v 11 but was unable to as I got an error message that a previous version is on my computer and needs to be uninstalled first.  So, now I can't install either version.  Of course, I would prefer to install the Sage ACT! Pro 2011.  Any HELP will be greatly appreciated!  Thank you, very much!  Ted

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author tedbratton
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Super Contributor

Re: ACT Pro 2011 won't install as earlier version detected - bad uninstall of ACT 2009 v 11

Hello Ted,

Welcome to the Sage ACT! Online Community!

You can use the ACT!Uninstaller utility to remove the previous installation files.  Here is an article with the download and instructions for the utility: KB Article 19338

Greg Martin
Sage

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author tedbratton
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

Re: ACT Pro 2011 won't install as earlier version detected - bad uninstall of ACT 2009 v 11

Hello Ted,

Welcome to the Sage ACT! Online Community!

You can use the ACT!Uninstaller utility to remove the previous installation files.  Here is an article with the download and instructions for the utility: KB Article 19338

Greg Martin
Sage

Hi Greg,

Thank you, very much, for your reply & solution!!! 

I got the ACT! Pro 2011 version re-installed now and am working through a few [hopefully, minor] issues with my databases, syncing with Outlook 2010 ...  At least I now have my ACT! Pro 2011 installed and it looks like I have a freshly synced database with my Outlook contacts. 

Off to a business meeting -- thanks, again, Greg!

Ted

On 02/13/2012, I re-installed, re-registered & was provided with an ACTIVATION CODE provided to me and I, once again, registered the product.  All seemed to be working great until I rebooted my computer on 02/16/2012.

This product wizard went into a registration wizard mode, would not perform registration via internet, said to do it from ACT! menu, but the program closes down with 0 days of "TRIAL" left.

I emailed SAGE and was provided with a new ACTIVATION CODE but the result is the same: it will not perform registration via internet, said to do it from ACT! menu, but the program closes down with 0 days of "TRIAL" left - - I don't know what to do & desperately need HELP!  Thank You!!!  Ted

Try running Sage ACT! using the 'Run As Administrator' option.  To do this:

- close Sage ACT!

- right click on Sage ACT! icon

- select 'Run as administrator'

Does it now recognize the registration, or allow you to register?

Greg Martin
Sage

No problem closing Sage ACT! as it won't open -- I just get to the registration wizard.

Proposed solution did not work; after wizard closed, program closes and I can not access anything.

Thank You, again, but I'm still without ability to use Sage Act! and starting to feel like it's too much trouble Smiley Sad

Any other wisdom/insight will be appreciated!  Ted

Ted,

I was hoping the 'administrator' quick fix would work...  but, here is an article with instructions for removing the registration keys - which should allow you to register successfully: KB Article 14245

Greg Martin
Sage

Greg,

I went through the steps but quit (per the instructions) when I was unable to locate an "install key present under the ACT key". 

There was not any ACT key, except for ACT7 under the Windows SQL Server section where it is identified as:

ab(default)    REG_SZ  (value not set)

Ted

I believe I see where you are in the article.  The absense of that key is not a problem, go ahead and skip to the next section "Removing the Registration Information".

Note: I see that the 'If not' verbiage was incorrect, I have corrected it.

Greg Martin
Sage

I truly appreciate your help, Greg.

Nothing has worked; I've again re-uninstalled & reinstalled;

It's not worth that much time,

I'm wiping ACT! out & will suffice with Outlook.

Thanks, again & I wish you well!

Ted