Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Accepted Solution

ACT Pro 2011 won't install as earlier version detected - bad uninstall of ACT 2009 v 11

Copper Contributor

Re: ACT Pro 2011 won't install as earlier version detected - bad uninstall of ACT 2009 v 11

This is really bizarre and frustrating. In the last 15 years I've installed scores if not hundreds of softwarre packages and never encountered anything like this. To not be ableto install a product because of an earlier version?? Your developers should be embarassed....

I had a problem with ACT pro 2011 not attaching documents so I thought I'd reinstall it. I hit th problem the others described, ran the unistaller, then the utility recommended on another post, and now it says it is detected an ACT7 instance that could not be connected successfully. 

Now I'm dead in the water. I really like the product when it runs but this is ridiculous.

If you have a suggestion I'd appreciate it.

Neal Fuller

Re: ACT Pro 2011 won't install as earlier version detected - bad uninstall of ACT 2009 v 11

Neal Fuller:

After my limited and very frustrating experiences with ACT, I uninstalled and/or deleted it all and am using my Microsoft Office contacts function.  It not only works but also syncs with my BlackBerry address book.  In my opinion, ACT is a poor excuse for software and not worth the hassles nor the price!

Ted Bratton

Platinum Super Contributor

Ndfuller,

Check the 'SQL Server (ACT7)' service.  Is it 'Started'?  If not, start it and then attempt the installation.  Instructions: KB Article 28216

If it does not resolve the issue, it may be that the Microsoft SQL Server installation is corrupted.  If there are no other programs using SQL on this computer, you will want to:

- Uninstall Sage ACT!

- Uninstall all components of Microsoft SQL Server 

- Rename the 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server' folder (ex: add '- old' to the end)

- Reboot the computer

- Install Sage ACT! (SQL will be included)

Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Contributor

I tried all that. I finally gave up and bought a new computer. I had the other one for six years so it was about time anyway. ACT installed fine but now I have a problem reading the databases I copied over. 

Love the product's functionality but this is really a downer.

Platinum Super Contributor

What is the error?

If you copied over all of the database files, including the *.PAD - it may be looking for the old computer to find the database (ADF file). Delete the *.PAD file and open using the ADF. It will recreate the PAD file with the updated computer/file path.
Greg Martin
Sage
Highlighted
Copper Contributor

Thanks. That worked. Appreciate the prompt response.

NF