Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT Pro 2011 network issues

Copper Contributor

ACT Pro 2011 network issues

[ Edited ]

We are running a server with 3 clients. The server runs Windows Home Server 2011. The clients all run Windows 7.

I've been trying to get ACT! installed to where the database is located on the server and accessed by the clients. The server communicates with the clients just fine in all the rest of our file sharing--no problem whatsoever.

I backed up ACT and restored it on the server locating it in a shared folder. The database opens fine on the server. When I try to open the database from any of the clients, I get this message:

"The database could not be accessed. In order to access this database, check your network connection and verify that your database server is available. It may be necessary to disable any firewall swoftware on your computer or the sever."

Before these problems started I got an opendns.com account (internet filtering through the router). I completely disabled the account but I'm still encountering the same error. I'm at my wit's end.

Nickel Elite Contributor

Re: ACT Pro 2011 network issues

It's almost always Firewall issues.  Actually, it's always firewall issues.  Viper, McAffee, Norton - turn them off, and turn off *anything* to do with Windows firewall.  See if it works then.

I have had to add rules to allow ACT and SQL to pass through even with the firewall off, but often just turning them off to test shows that it does work.

Richard Brust
ACT! Certified Consultant
richard@rbrDataSolutions.com
Platinum Elite Contributor

Is the database shared? Tools | Database Maintenance.

Do you have any software firewalls software running on any system?

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Bronze Super Contributor

You should check that the SQL Server Configuration Manager has the following:

The SQL Server Network Configuration Protocols for ACT7 are all enabled except VIA.

The SQL Native Client 10.0 Configuration Client Protocols are all enabled except VIA.

David Shaw
Act! Certified Consultant since 2001
Office:    +44 (0)1483 714507
Mobile: +44 (0)7977 567 318
E-Mail:    dshaw@act4u.org