Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT Pro 2011 and SQL Server

Tuned Listener

ACT Pro 2011 and SQL Server

I installed my version of ACT pro a few days ago and had issues with contact and calendar synch to outlook 2010 as well as form letters propagating with appropriate name address etc.  So I elected to uninstall and try a re install.  Terrible mistake, I have spent the past 4-5 hours trying to uninstall various instances of SQL server and act, trying the manual uninstall in the knowledge base, trying MS for some sort of SQL uninstall.  At this point I can install act but not SQL and no database can be opened or created.  HELP... Surely this must be some tool that actually works that will rip out everything and let me install from scratch.  FWIW, that tool is not ACTUNINSTALL.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT Pro 2011 and SQL Server

Did you try the option to also remove the SQL instance with the Uninstaller?
Tuned Listener

I tried it with the uninstaller utility from Sage, from the CPanel, manually... nothing seems to work.

And you selected to remove the SQL in the Uninstaller (it's an option not on by default)?

Have you tried installing SQL manually from the "Dependencies\SQL Express 2008 R2" folder on the CD?

Try the steps as per this ACT! Knowledge Base article -

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2699...

If any error, please post the full error with details about what step it happened.

Tuned Listener

I have tried that, but it didn't work.  I'm away from the machine that it is on, but will try tomorrow and post results.

If you post what function it failed on as well as the displayed error and any error in the Windows Event Logs or SQL install log, it should be possible to track the cause
Copper Elite Contributor

Hello Ageffen,

The ACT! Version 13 uninstaller tool, does not come with option to uninstall SQL anymore, like previous versions of the tool.

And tech support only suggest using the uninstaller tool to uninstall ACT! when the normal uninstall dosen't work. I had some issues with uninsatlling SQL 2008 on one of my machines, and had to go through the registry and delete any references to SQL to get it to install again.

This can be tricky though if you are running any other apps that use SQL

I have attached a screen shot of the error I was getting, are you getting the same kind of error?

Thanks,

Kurt Rosemann

Platinum Act! Consultants
Kurt@ActiveSales.net | www.ActiveSales.net | 877-569-8005
Tuned Listener

I have version 12 and 13 of the uninstaller.  I think 12 purports to do SQL as to whether it is the 2008r2 is a question.  The error I got is pretty much the same as yours except I got error code 1605 instead of 1608.  When I left the office today, ACT Pro 2011 was installed but wouldn't open or create a database because it said SQL wasn't installed.  Even when I go to the subdirectory where SQL is on the install directory, it won't complete an install.  Earlier today, I followed a knowledge base article and manually uninstalled SQL, but that didn't cure any problems.  The only other program that uses sequel that I have is an intuit tax product, but I can uninstall that and reinstall it with no problems.  It would seem that there should be a way to completely remove actpro 2011 and SQL without all of this aggravation.

Copper Elite Contributor

Hello ageffen,

No the uninstaller tool for 12 will not uninstall SQL 2008r2.

This is what I did to get around the SQL install issue.

When I got the error message I wrote down the Key it was giving me the error on, i.e... the numbers between the { }, so if you look at my attachment mine started with 2AFFFDD7- so what I did was search the registry and reversed the begging of the key, so I searched for 7DDFFFA2, I can't remember if it was found in HKEY_Current_USER or in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE. Don't search for the whole string, just search on the first eight alphanumeric key in reverse

When the search found it I deleted the Key, then tried the install of SQL again got another error with another Key Id, I reversed the first set again did a search in the registry, found it and deleted it, then was able to install SQL.

Please remember before starting the search and deleting any Key's, Make sure to back up your registry.

Let me know how you go

Thanks,

Kurt Rosemann

Platinum Act! Consultants
Kurt@ActiveSales.net | www.ActiveSales.net | 877-569-8005
Tuned Listener

Wll I tried it and it didn't work.  I have tried to attach the msigetinfo information in a png file as well as two sql logs but don't see anywhere that it can be done..  Maybe somebody can tell me how to get this to work.