Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT Pro 2011 & SQL 2008 R2 (full edition)

ACT Pro 2011 & SQL 2008 R2 (full edition)

Hi

Can someone advise me if this is true please as the tech agent from ACT advised the following:-

“ACT Pro 2011 cannot be installed on a server running full blown SQL 2008 R2 as it will not connect”

We have a Windows Server 2008 R2 with SQL Server 2008 R2 (full edition)

I created the instance manually as advised by ACT in article 25227

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_alp.php

When I installed ACT Pro 2011 I did not get the option to connect to an SQL Server so assumed it was looking for the default called ACT

I then noticed this in the event log

Login failed for user 'ACTACCESS'. Reason: Could not find a login matching the name provided. [CLIENT: <local machine>]

So I looked in SQL & there was no user setup called ACTACCESS so I created it & then got the following error

Login failed for user 'ACTACCESS'. Reason: Password did not match that for the login provided. [CLIENT: <local machine>]

I then received a call-back from an ACT manager to advise it is not possible & they will contact the developers in USA to find out why

Has anyone else come across this problem & if so does anyone have a workaround or a resolution please

Thanks in advance for any assistance

Bronze Super Contributor

Re: ACT Pro 2011 & SQL 2008 R2 (full edition)

This has to do with the licensing agreement for SQL server between Sage and Microsoft.

One of the reasons (among others) that the Premium Edition of Act! costs more than Pro is that its licensing allows for connection to a SQL Standard installation.  Act! Pro comes bundled with SQL Express, which is a scaled down version of the database engine and is not designed to connect to other versions of SQL...

Copper Super Contributor

You should call Sage and get upgraded to the Premium version. That way you can run the full version of SQL server.

Hi All

Many thanks for the replies, I shall contact Sage & see what the costs are for upgrading though I would still like an answer from Sage

Just becuase the ability to connect to SQL Server has been included in previous versions so why not this one & I appreciate what you say about costs & licensing

Once again thanks for the replies

Platinum Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hello Mark,
Welcome to the Sage ACT! Community. To answer your question, ACT! 2011 Pro can only connect to SQL Server 2008 R2 Express. You will need ACT! 2011Premium to connect to SQL Server 2008 R2 Standard. In addition, please note that Pro can only support up to 10 users.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Hi Greig

I appreciate what you say & am aware of this but I would like a definitive answer from Sage about why it is now not possible when all other versions of Sage ACT Pro have had the ability to connect to full blown SQL

Sounds like Sage dont want ACT Pro to be installed on a server & are forcing users to purchase the Premium edition to have this ability

Your thoughts would be welcome on this matter

Cheers

Bronze Super Contributor

I cannot speak to the situation in the UK, but I can say that to the best of my knowledge at least in the US, the non-Premium version(s) of ACT! have never been licensed for usage against any SQL instance other than the one it shipped with...

Bronze Super Contributor

I'm not not aware of ACT! by Sage (non-Premium) connecting to anything other than SQL Express.

Which version have you done this with.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Mark,
As voiced above, I am also not aware of a non-premium version being able to connect to SQL Standard. We do not advise or support doing this configuration. Pro is the lower-tier version of ACT! and designed to work with the Express edition of SQL 2008. You can install SQL Express 2008 R2 on the same server as you have SQL Standard on and it will connect to the Pro.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Hi & thanks for the replies

Hmm so it doesn't work on SQL Server, so how come I have ACT 2009 installed on a server that has SQL 2005 (not express)???