Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT! Pro 2011 - Missing Documents (attachments) & Duplicate Contacts

ACT! Pro 2011 - Missing Documents (attachments) & Duplicate Contacts

Greetings!

Just recently upgraded computer to Windows 7, relinked ACT! Pro 2011 and database is having the following two problems.

Missing Documents/Attachments
I seem to be missing my attachments.  I can see them listed under the Documents tab, but the size reads 0KB and they do not open (dead links).  Any idea how I can fix this?

Duplicate Contacts
I also now have around 500 duplicate contacts.  Is there a quick and easy way to go through delete w/o touching each record?

Thanks all!

Bronze Contributor

Re: ACT! Pro 2011 - Missing Documents (attachments) & Duplicate Contacts

tony,

Are you synchronising your database with Outlook as this might explain the duplicates?

Do you have a backup of your database and I would do a restore as to see if this contains the attachment folder. In some cases you can replaced this restored folder to the original location.

Open ACTdiag to make sure you are looking in the correct location

Send me offline email if you have questions on any of the above

Paul Buchtmann
pbuchtmann@ozemail.com.au Australia
Australia's First ACT Consultant (1989)

FREE Record History to change default to Call or To-Do for ACT! 2010-2012 versions. Custom versions also available.

Actdiag shows correct database connected.

Attachments

Unfortunately, this is the only copy I have.  The entire ACT folder was copied from previous install and placed/linked to same location.  I do notice the "Database files > attachment" folder is empty.  Should there be files in there?  Is this common or anything else I can try to save?  These attachments are very important to each contact.

Contacts

I've disabled sync with Outlook, before this was enabled.
Duplicate contacts are still in ACT!, again around 500.  Is there a way to delete these?  Maybe free or paid software that does this? 

Thanks all!!

Platinum Super Contributor

The empty attachments folder is the cause of the 0kb attachments within the contacts. If you can gain access to the original Attachments folder, you can copy and paste it into the current Attachments folder - then the documents will be able to open.
Greg Martin
Sage

Is this the only way to regain access to the attachments?  I have a bad feeling the folder might have been deleted.

Any ideas on the duplicate contacts? 

Platinum Super Contributor

Yes, that would be the only way to recover the attachments (unless you had made a backup of the database - to restore using 'Restore As' option).

Duplicates can be a tough one. You can use the Tools > Scan for Duplicates option, but it goes through them 2 contacts at a time.
You can also use the Contact List view and sort by contact name. Using the Ctrl key you can highlight multiples and delete them, but you might not be sure if you are deleting the correct record.
Greg Martin
Sage
Bronze Super Contributor

Restoring your most recent backup from prior to the switch over to a different name (Choose "Restore As" in the dialog box) sounds like you best bet.

That will recreate the database and attachments as they were at the time of the back up and then you can copy the attachment folder contents over to your "live" database.

Hope you have that backup!

What are the "optimal" settings from syncing between Outlook and ACT?  I already have existing contacts in Outlook and ACT, but seem to get duplicates when sycing between the two applications.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.