Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT Pro! 2011 Method not found Error

ACT Pro! 2011 Method not found Error

We had a power outage and we were able to repair Windows but we are now receiving this error message when opening ACT:

Method not found: 'Boolean
Infragistics.Win.ISelectionManager.ActivateItem(Infragistics.Shared.ISelectableItem)'

It then says "The application has encountered an error and has been shut down. Would you like to report the error?"

The "details" of the error were:

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.   
at Act.UI.PickList.DBFieldEditor.Dispose(Boolean disposing)   
at Act.UI.PickList.BasePickListControl.Dispose(Boolean disposing)   
at System.ComponentModel.Component.Finalize()

Does anyone have any suggestions on a fix for this?
Thank you!

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: ACT Pro! 2011 Method not found Error

Hello Sara,

Welcome to the Sage ACT! Online Community!

It may be that the Sage ACT! preference files were corrupted.  Use the 'Alternate Method: Manually Rebuilding Preferences' section of this article to recreate the preference files (won't affect your database files):  KB Article 14770

If that does not resolve the issue:

- Is the database accessible from other computers?

- Are you able to open the Demo database or create a new database?

Greg Martin
Sage

Thank you for your response, Greg.

Once I type in the ActDiag command I receive this error message:

"Could not connect to the SQL Serve Instance
Click Yes to continue anyway, No to restart ActDiag, Cancel to close."

The Yes option will let me click on Databases > Database List but becomes unresponsive after that point.
The No option just brings me back to the same error message.

What do you suggest from this point?

Thank you again for your assistance.

That error may be due to the 'SQL Server (ACT7)' service not being Started.  Check the steps in this article: KB Article 28216

Once started, attempt to open your database.  If you still get an error opening it, can you open the Demo or create a new database?

If you are able to open the database, use the steps in the previous article after the ActDiag option.  Look for the heading 'Alternate Method: Manually Delete Preferences' and use those steps.

Greg Martin
Sage

Dear Greg,

Thank you for your reply.

When I attempted to start 'SQL Service (ACT7)' I received the error below:

'Windows could not start the SQL Service (ACT7) on Local Computer. For more information, review the System Event Log. If this is a non-Microsoft service, contact the service vendor, and refer to service-specific error code 3414.'

I am able to open the Database but then it returns to my original error message:

'Method not found: 'Boolean
Infragistics.Win.ISelectionManager.ActivateItem(Infragistics.Shared.ISelectableItem)'

Please also keep in mind that the ActDiag command gives me this error message:
'Could not connect to the SQL Serve Instance
Click Yes to continue anyway, No to restart ActDiag, Cancel to close.'

Any new ideas?

Thanks a bunch!

From your description (SQL won't start, but able to open the database) - it tells me that the database is not physically located on your computer. Since it appears you are sharing a database, SQL not starting on your computer is not an issue.

Use the 'Alternate Method: Manually Rebuild Preferences' section of the article (skip the ActDiag step) to delete the preference files.
Greg Martin
Sage

Dear Greg,

Thank you for your speedy reply. Yes, this is a shared file. I am able to see the ACT Database on my server, it just will not open it. Unfortunately once I open the program again I receive the same error:

Method not found: 'Boolean
Infragistics.Win.ISelectionManager.ActivateItem(In​fragistics.Shared.ISelectableItem)'

There are seven other computers also set up to ACT in my office and none of them are experiencing this issue which is completely throwing me for a loop.

I sincerely appreciate all of your assistance.

You didn't mention, but I assume you have deleted the Preference file... If this is the case, the issue may be specific to your username. Try signing into the database with your username from a different computer.

Are you getting the error before entering your username or after? If after, have someone else try to sign into the database with their username - on your computer.
Greg Martin
Sage

Dear Greg,

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, the Preferences have been deleted. We do not have to sign in with a username at each individual computer. We share the information with the server so that all of the information stays the same. With everyone else's computers working, I don't see the username being the issue.

Please advise and again, I appreciate your assistance.

Knowing that there was a power outage, and that you all sign into the database as the same user (no username prompt if only 1 user defined to database), and that it only happens on this one computer... I would try uninstalling and reinstalling ACT!.

Have you checked the Windows Event Viewer for errors? (right click on 'Computer' icon > select Manage > Event Viewer).
Greg Martin
Sage