Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT Pro 2011 - Cannot schedule db backup

FTL

ACT Pro 2011 - Cannot schedule db backup

[ Edited ]

Hi all,

I have taken on the contract of a company in a right mess of an IT setup!!!

Never used Sage ACT before until i have been tasked with the following:

User had Sage ACT 2011 Pro installed on his local machine - Vista Home Premium - not on domain.

Server and domain DO exist on the network.

Local user logs into ACT db on his machine with username and a password setup in the DB users

So i got tasked with moving the ACT db over to the server so it could be backed up.

What id id:

• Backed up the database on his local PC
  • Installed ACT 2011 Pro onto 2003 server and imported database
  • Shared it
  • Shared the folder the DB lives in (C:\Program Files\ACT\db Import) and gave the Everyone group share and NTFS full control permissions.
  • Mapped a network drive on users PC to that folder and told it to connect using the domain admin account.

Opened server db on his machine and logged ino it with his original login. He can use it fine and everything is hunky dory.

Now i set up a scheduled task to do a daily backup of the db - but it never does anything!

Doesnt run

Doesnt populate the task log with any info

All i get in the server event log is:

BACKUP failed to complete the command BACKUP DATABASE XXXX.

Check the backup application log for detailed messages.

If i try to run a manual backup of the db on the server it just sits there doing nothing.

What do i need to do in order to get this DB backed up please?

Thankyou

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: ACT Pro 2011 - Cannot schedule db backup

Hello FTL,

Welcome to the Sage ACT! Online Community!

What backup program are you using?  If this is a Windows task you have set up, it will fail to access the database files because they are locked by the MS SQL program.  You will want to use the ACT! Scheduler to set up the backup task: in ACT!, look under Tools menu for 'ACT! Scheduler...'.

Greg Martin
Sage
FTL

Hi GMartin,

Backup software is Symantec Backup Exec.

I have tried to use the ACT scheduler to do a backup but it never does anything! Doesnt even attempt to run the task. Logs nothing in the task log and just puts an entry in the server event viewer:

BACKUP failed to complete the command BACKUP DATABASE XXXX.

Check the backup application log for detailed messages.

I cant even do a manual backup of the DB from within ACT - it just sits on the Backing up dialogue box but never moves and again doesnt backup. I have to cancel it, at which point it will again log the above in my event viewer application log.

Platinum Super Contributor

Things to try/look for:

- Be sure you are backing up to a destination on the local hard drive

- How large is the database?  ADF/ALF files and the 'Database Files' folder?

- Open the demo (or create a new database) and attempt to back it up (File > Backup > Database) - is it successful?

To ensure you have a backup, use the File > Save Copy As option.  It will create a duplicate of the original database.  Will it back up successfully?

Greg Martin
Sage